Friday, November 18, 2022

Double Monkey Wrench Block - Feathered Friends BOM 2022

Our Feathered Friends quilt has two rows of blocks to frame the quilt. Today we will make 6 Double Monkey Wrench blocks. This is a fun traditional block. This is the last of the block series for this quilt. I am using a purple and blue and cream fabric for my blocks. If you are making your quilt out of your stash, find fabrics colors that can be found in your applique blocks. This will help to pull your quilt together. For my cream fabrics, I choose a different fabric for each block to make it scrappy.  The quilt block patterns will be available free until the end of the year.

 So let me show you how I have made the Double Monkey Wrench block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....
Gather your fabric and print up your pattern.

From dark fabric cut-

24- 2 5/8” x 2 5/8” squares (A)

6- 2 5/8” x 2 5/8 squares (C)

From coordinating fabric cut- 24- 1 5/8” x 2 5/8” rectangles (B) 

From light fabric cut-

24- 2 5/8” x 2 5/8” squares (A)

24- 1 5/8” x 2 5/8 squares (B)


·         Pair together light A square with dark B square right sides together. Sew corner to corner diagonally. Trim to a ¼” seam on one side to form a triangle square. Press to the dark side.  Make 24 triangle squares total, 4 for each block.


·         Pair together light B rectangle with coordinating B rectangle right sides together. Sew along the long edge using a ¼” seam. Press to the dark side. Trim up to measure 2 5/8” x 2 5/8” squares. Make a total of 24 rectangle squares. Four for each block.


     Following the block layout, stitch the block together using a scant ¼” seam.

I find it helpful to lay the block out next to my sewing machine. Make 6 Monkey Wrench blocks total.
Now this is exciting, go gather your nine patch, friendship star and double monkey wrench blocks. If you have all of the blocks done you can sew together the top and bottom border for the quilt. The order is above.... You will make 2 - 8 block strips for the top and bottom border for the quilt.

Announcement!!!!
I will be releasing the other pieces and parts that you need to complete this quilt throughout this month. Stay tuned! Visit the Quilt Doodle website for the free PDF downloads for the quilt blocks and sashing directions.

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the pattern

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! 

 There isn't much left to make for this quilt. There is one more bird block that will be available December 1st. I will also release the border and assembly directions at that time too. I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching! I'm off to spend some time in my sewing room, I have a stack of Christmas projects.

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I almost missed this! After losing several years in an accidental delete, I would have been really unhappy with myself if I hadn't gotten at least the ending of this one! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete