Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Chickadee Pair!


 I just love sitting on my deck and watch the chickadees fly about the bird feeders. My chickadees aren't very fearful of me anymore and actually get pretty close to me when I'm sitting outside with my morning coffee. I enjoy listening to their chitter chatter as then skip about the feeders. This sweet little mini quilt measures 8" x 10" when finished and is perfect to use as a candle mat or just as a decorating accent for your home. Like most of my little projects, I was able to stitch this up in an evening. I pulled all of the fabrics from my fabric stash. This chickadee project would also make a great gift for the bird lover in your family. 

To start this project you will need to download the pattern from either my Etsy shop or the Quilt Doodle Website. Print up the pattern and then you're ready to go! Gather your fabrics.... I have numbered and lettered the pieces in this pattern to make it a little easier to assemble the design. Begin with tracing all of the pattern pieces onto the paper side of the fusible web, remember to letter and number the pieces. This will make it easier for you to pair with the fabric. To make the design I am using different shades of gray and greens. Following the fusible web manufacturers directions. Iron your shapes onto the back side of your fabric.

Using a sharp scissor, cut all of your pieces out. Also, cut out your background fabric and backing. I am using a cream tonal design for the background.

Following the placement page from the pattern, use it as a guide and position the different shapes to form the chickadee design. Make sure to peel the paper backing off when you press it in place.

This is the setting that I am using for my stitching around the edge. If you are unsure if you have a good setting for your buttonhole stitch, sew on some scrap fabric to check on the size of the stitches.

I am using a black thread to stitch around the design. I have layered the backing, batting and mini quilt top before I have started stitching around the design. This way I am also quilting at the same time as appliqueing. This is optional. You can quilt after you are done with the appliqueing too. 

I also have done some wavy quilting on the of the design using some matching thread. Square up the edges and cut away any excess fabric and then bind your mini quilt using your favorite method.

~ Chickadee Pair ~

I hope that you enjoy this sweet little mini quilt. It's a beautiful design that can be left out year round as an extra little accent on a table or shelf. I hope that you have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching. The Chickadee Pair pdf pattern can be found 

and 

Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere


1 comment: