Friday, August 6, 2021

Buster Bear


I stayed up late last night and did some stitching. I've had this sweet bear drawn up for months and months but I have been working on another super secret project... It was fun to work on a mug rug since they are quick and easy and offer instant gratification. I used fabric from my Marcus Fabrics stash and I'm really pleased with the results. I love coloring with fabric. Let me show you how I put this sweet little project together. 
I dug thru my Marcus Fabrics stash and pulled some colors that I thought would work for the bear design.

I then traced the design pieces onto the paper side of my fusible web. Following the manufacturers directions I ironed the pieces onto the back side of the fabric. Using my sharp OLFA applique scissors, I then cut everything out.

Following the placement sheet in the pattern, I position all of the pieces in place. Using a hot iron and following the manufacturers directions I fuse everything in place. Then I layer the backing, batting and mug rug front together and pin everything in place.  I like that I'm able to 'quilt' as I do the applique. This is totally optional... you can quilt your mug rug after you have all of the applique done too.

I am using a dark brown thread to do all of my applique stitching around the design.

Following the design in the pattern, stitch all of the little details using some black pearl cotton (or DMC thread). I'm using a running stitch for the flight of the bumblebee,

Such a cute face! I stitched Buster Bear's eyes using a couple of French knots.

I then square everything up using my ruler and rotary cutter. I then bind my mug rug using the same fabric that I used for the background and backing of the mug rug. 
 
~ Buster Bear Mug Rug ~

This was a fun summertime project and took me an evening to complete. What I love about it is that I was able to put it together out of fabric I already had, I bet you can too! The pattern can be found in my Etsy shop and also on the Quilt Doodle Designs website under the PDF pattern tab.

I hope that you are having a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching!

Happy quilting,


2 comments:

  1. Buster is adorable. I love when a project every once in a while is quick and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buster is just too cute. Cannot wait to create this Bear. Cindy, great work.

    ReplyDelete