Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Embroidery Fun!


My new Snowfolks panel and fabric has been showing up in local quilt shops this month, I’ve also received my shipment for the website. Did you know that I have been embroidering a couple panels for a couple of quilts. One of my quilts is currently being quilted and I can’t wait to show you! What’s fun about these panels is that you can let your creativity shine using different embroidery techniques. I’ve been having a fun time trying out some different stitches besides a backstitch. My backup stitch, the stitch I use most often is a backstitch. What’s your favorite stitch? Many stitchers prefer the outline stitch, my friend, Coleen stitched the most beautiful outline stitch when she embroidered. Her stitches were so even and fine, ultimate perfection. In my eyes, I’m still working on my stitching skills. Let me show you what I’ve been working on…

As you can see, I used my favorite backstitch on the trees and to outline the snowman and scarf. Another favorite stitch of mine is the satin stitch. I used it on the snowman’s scarf and am also stitching the hearts using a satin stitch. Filling in different areas of the design creates a nice pop of color. I also am fond of the lazy daisy stitch and used it for the floral design on the snowman’s scarf.

To make the lines on the plaid scarf pop, I used a chain stitch to stitch the lines. It gives the design a great texture that reminds me of knitting. This is a great stitch for a winter themed quilt.

To make the circles pop, I used a satin stitch.

I also used a satin stitch on this snowman’s scarf. On the panel, this snowman is larger than the rest so the snowmen so the lazy daisy stitch would not work as well on this particular snowman. I decided to use a satin stitch to make the flowers. I love how they turned out. Using variegated thread is an added bonus to create interest and texture.

I wanted to try something special on the snowman’s hat, so I did a weaving stitch. It takes a little time but is certainly worth the effort.

Let me show you how to do it… first stitch a loose satin stitch vertically leaving space between each stitch. About the width of your thread.  Then stitch horizontally weaving thru the vertical threads with each horizontal stitch until the section is filled.

Now let’s talk about thread, I like to use #12 pearl cotton. But I also have used DMC floss too. I like both types of thread. It’s really personal preference. I also like to use a size 24 chenille needle to stitch with and an embroidery hoop. I line my panel with lightweight interfacing. Lining the panel will hide your threads on the back of your needlework. Check out the video below.


The Snowfolks panel and coordinating fabric can be found on my website to purchase. I hope that you have fun stitching along with me. 

Have a great day! I hope you find some time to do some stitching.

Cindy & Josephine 






5 comments:

  1. Looks better every time I see this. I haven't started it yet, but will keep this email front and center for reference - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for the panel to order but couldn’t find it. Please help. Thank you. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My email is szil949@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching add Ins all look amazing on your snowman designed panel , just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog posts never fail to ignite the creative spark within me, and I'm sure many others feel the same.
    https://www.frugalishness.com/promotions/all-stores

    ReplyDelete