Thursday, December 22, 2022

Christmas Memories

I have been lacking Christmas spirit this year which is a mystery to me! So, while trying to find it I decided to make some cookies I remember from my childhood. We all have those recipes that bring us back to our childhood and the magic of Christmas. My grandma's Coconut Macaroons are one of those recipes. I haven't had them since my grandma passed away so many years ago. I found this recipe in one of my family recipe binders, the one I got as a shower gift when I was a young bride. It's such a treasure to find a recipe that is handwritten by grandma! I haven't made them because my husband and boys are not fond of coconut. I love coconut. Well, I decided to whip of a batch of these hoping to find a little Christmas spirit! 

In my grandma's recipe she doesn't say to whip the eggs until frothy and then slowly add the sugar to form a meringue. She of course assumed I already knew that! Then you fold in the coconut. It's a lovely batter that resembles Santa's beard.

I used a small cookie scoop to form the cookies....

~ Coconut Macaroons ~

These cookies are just how I remember them! Yummy coconut goodness! They bring back memories of grandma's silver tinsel tree and bubble lights. Grandma always had a tray of goodies on the dining room table that we could always help ourselves to.  I'm going to go grab a cup of coffee and another cookie, these are mine, all mine!

Happy holidays!
Cindy and JOsephine 



 

5 comments:

  1. Oh these cookies sound so good! We are getting snow (actually a blizzard) today but I'll be snug inside making these cookies. Thanks so much. Merry Christmas! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you mean--this year I feel numb inside--I am going though the motions of the season--but???? I was fine at the first of the month til around the 10th--ever since--well??????? I thought about baking some cookies to see if that would help--but I really really do not need to eat any for my health and I would--so --so far I haven't baked!!! Even here mid Florida we are expecting very cold temps for Saturday and Sunday--ouch!!!
    take care-and maybe the Chirstmas spirit will 'hit' us yet--hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these & they are yummy! Saving this recipe-thank you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet memory! I'm not fond of coconut, but if my grandma left me this recipe, hand written, I'd probably find Christmas in them, too. I hope it helped you find that feeling you were missing. Maybe reading the Christmas story in Luke?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old recipes!!!!! My mother in law was the family baker and had dozens of different cookies for the holidays as each brother and sister had a different favorite. We have some of the recipes, written on the backs of envelops, receipts, scraps of paper...most of them have been folded so many times they are missing some pieces! Thanks for reminding us of the great times! p. s. I'm from Chicago by way of n/w Iowa and I don't get the Spirit until it SNOWS! A LOT! None of this dusty stuff. LOL

    ReplyDelete