Friday, December 11, 2020

12 Days of Christmas, Day 8



Day 8

I have another project that's sure to be comforting. It's another quick and easy project that would be a great beginner sewing project. So if you are mentoring a new stitcher, this is a fun project to introduce them to. It's an easy square scarf with a frayed edge.

This has been the year of neighborhood walks and outdoor hikes with our lockdowns here in Minnesota. I find this scarf warm and cozy. A great comfort item that would also make a wonderful gift. It's fashionable too! I wear mine around the house when it's chilly. All you need is 1 1/2 yards of a woven flannel. I used Primo Plaid Flannel from Marcus Fabrics. It's warm and cozy and perfect for this project.

How to tell if I have the right kind of flannel if not using Primo Plaids Flannel. One of the easiest ways to tell, is to cut it. Fleece is woven tighter or not woven at all and will not unravel. When you cut flannel, it will ravel. Flannel is woven to give it a twill weave or patterned weave. The threads are individually dyed and woven with flannel. Fleece has a fuzzy side and a plain side. Flannel appears the same on both sides. Hope this helps you when picking out your flannel fabric. You will need 1 1/4 yards of Primo Plaid Flannel.

I picked out this lovely plaid for my scarf.
m. Square your fabric up and cut away any extra, try to follow along the weave when you trim.
Cut off the selvage edges.

Using matching thread, sew a 1/2" seam along all four sides of the edge. Follow along the weave, try to keep it even.
Here's the fun part, put on some holiday music and start pulling threads to create a fringe on the scarves edge. I pulled threads right up to the sewn line.

You will end up with a pile of threads. I find it helpful to use a pin to work some of the threads out to pull.

I'm loving my cozy Primo Plaid flannel scarf! It's going to keep me warm when  I take Belvedere for a walk.


If you're giving you scarf away as a gift, fold it up to make a pretty presentation. I like to fold one corner down to show off the plaid design and fringe.


I do have primo plaid flannel available on my
website if you're unable to find it in your local quilt shops. Hope you have a wonderful day and find some time to stitch.

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere


1 comment: