Thursday, December 10, 2020

12 Days of Christmas Day 7



Day 7

I was thinking this time of year we are all stressed and tied up in knots. Many of us are putting in long days sewing those special handmade gifts so today’s project is something that you can make for yourself, or make a bunch and give them as gifts. A heating pad that can be warmed up in the microwave is a wonderful item to have handy to sooth those sore muscles. I’ve had these on my to do list forever, I wanted to make one for myself for when my neck gets sore from stitching all day. I also have a few family members on my Christmas list that could use a microwave heating pad too! Let me show you how quick and easy these are to make. This is also a great project for a beginner. It’s a great project with all straight seams. It can be completed in an afternoon. 
You will need a bag of rice, a funnel, flannel, cotton fabric, thread, essential oil (optional).

From cotton fabric cut 1 - 8" x 18" rectangle
From flannel fabric cut 1 - 8" x 18" rectangle

Pin them right sides together and sew around three sides leaving one side open. I used a 1/4" seam.

Clip the corners and then turn right side out.

Fold and iron a 3/8" hem to the inside of the bag.

Sew an 1/8" topstitch along the three finished sides, leave the top side along (open edge).



Sew lines vertically evenly spaced thru all layers of the bag. The sew lines are approximately 2 3/4" to 3" apart. I used a small Olfa ruler as a guide to sew by. You can mark the lines with a pencil before sewing, or use pins to help guide you as your stitch.

Here you can see my evenly spaced lines. Remember the top edge is still open.

I filled each section with 3/4 cup of rice. If you want a scented heating pad this is where you would add lavender or your favorite essential oil to the rice and mix it well before stuffing your bag.

Your bag has six sections to stuff with rice. I left mine unscented.

Fill each section with rice. After I fill a section, I pin it towards the 'edge' of where the rice is and then I pin it again along the top to close it off. Then I go and fill the next section.

Sew along the open edge to close the openings. Be careful not to spill any rice.

All done! Wasn't that quick and easy?!  I fold it in thirds to put in the microwave. I heat mine up for a minute or two, every microwave is different so time may vary.

It's perfect to relieve sore neck and shoulders.

I didn't stop at making just one, I made a few for stocking stuffers.

A five pound bag of rice was enough to make three heating pads. I was able to make two from each fat quarter of cotton fabric. I used primo plaid flannel for my soft flannel side of my heating pads. The flannel I used was left over from projects that I have been working on. As you can see I made some for my boys too. I thought the fish fabric would be fun for them. I think I still have some motorcycle fabric too, that would make a nice one for my hubby. When you make these up, don't forget to make a pretty one for yourself!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere







No comments:

Post a Comment