Saturday, December 12, 2020

12 Days of Christmas, Day 9



Day 9

One of my favorites is meat pie that my grandma used to make around the holidays. My mom now makes them and will give each of use girls one for the holidays. My grandma and great grandma used to make meat pie for Christmas Eve for when the family came home from midnight mass. Our recipe originated from my great grandma who was French Canadian. Meat pie is also referred to as Tourtière. It was a holiday tradition from my mom's childhood. I helped mom make them a couple of times, so I wrote down the recipe as mom cooked. I don't remember grandma having an actual recipe either! This recipe will make 4 to 5 pies.... These freeze well too. 


Grandma Huard's Meat Pies
  • 3 lbs. lean hamburger
  • 2 lbs. pork sausage
  • 2 onions diced
  • 1 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 2 lbs. hash browns (mom likes to use the Obrien Potatoes)
  • salt and season salt to taste
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • pie pastry for two crust pie or refrigerated pie crust for each pie. (4-5)
Brown hamburger and pork sausage, add everything else and cook thru. Put in pastry lined pie pans. Add top pie pastry and seal. Cut a couple of vent holes on top of pie. Bake at 350 until pastry is browned, about 35 minutes.

My Grandma Huard

It's fun to pull out my family traditional recipes this time of year. It's a comfort to bake or cook up something that brings back memories of holidays past! My grandma also had a full sized silver tinsel tree that she used to decorate! Well guess what I found online at Target, a silver tinsel tree! It's a small tabletop one that I have in my kitchen. I love it because it reminds me of being at grandma and grandpa's at Christmas!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Cindy and Belvedere

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the memory and recipe. We use to eat Tourtiere after Midnight Mass when I was a kid and we got to open 1 present before going to bed!!! As they say, Those Were The Days!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete