Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday Sewing

I hope this note finds you well and happy. Week one of hubby working home has gone well. We are settling into our new work routine. I have enjoyed having lunch with him everyday. He's added more screens in the home office and I look forward to using them when life returns to normal. Multiple computer screens will be so handy for when I do pattern writing. I've moved my computer to the kitchen table, I have been enjoying the sunshine as I work.

Instead of working on my own sewing this weekend, I reached out to my local hospital and asked if they needed face masks sewn and the answer was YES. I know that there are a flurry of face ask patterns out there. If you do make masks for your local hospital or clinic, check with them and see if they have a preference on what pattern they would like you to use. My local hospital emailed me a link for the pattern they would like me to use. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever be called up to make face masks. It's the world that we live in right now. So if you want to make face masks... let me share with you my progress.

The pattern I am using calls for 1 - 6" x 9" rectangle of cotton, 1 - 6" x 9" rectangle of flannel and two 7" pieces of elastic. I had an assembly line going yesterday and made them until I ran out of elastic. They stitch up pretty quickly. 
I was able to complete about two dozen yesterday. I ran out of elastic. Found some more today, a dear friend donated her stash of elastic. Amazon's delivery for elastic is out to  mid-April. I will spend today making as many as I can again. 

I had to check how they fit, I'm pretty happy with them. I did deliver one to a neighbor, her hubby is home sick. So if your hospital doesn't need them, your neighbors might.

Belvedere is sleeping thru the Pandemic, he's got a bin full of dog food and not a worry in the world. 
Happy quilting everyone, stay well!
Cindy and Belvedere

3 comments:

  1. Could you tell us how big the tucks are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tucks are about 3/4" or so. I eyeballed it as I stitched, just make sure your tucks are going the same way on each side.

      Delete
  2. We're all well here. That is a great way to spend your time. I have no elastic, and who knew that would be a thing to run out? I also have only small scraps of flannel, having sent all mine to a friend in Ohio. The pattern looks easier than many I've seen.

    ReplyDelete