Thursday, October 24, 2019

Scrappy Hats QAL Day 10

Welcome to Day 10

 
I hope that you are enjoying the snowman blocks so far. There's thirteen snowmen blocks all together. I tried to arrange the directions from easiest to hardest blocks. If you are new to quilting, this is a good skill builder for you. It's also a great stash buster if you are only pulling from your fabric stash to do this quilt. I am using a fat quarter bundle that I have been hoarding for a couple of years now. Today's block is a Flying Geese block, we are going to make 6 different ones so it will be a scrappy hat brim. Have fun and pick out six different colors that are different then the top of the snowman hat. Label your six colors A thru F. I used the same background fabric that I used in previous hat brims.  Again you can have fun and use whatever colors and fabrics you want. Everyone's quilt will be unique when we are all done. So let's get started....
Following the pattern directions I cut out my background rectangles and the fabrics that I will be labeling A thru F. The fabrics are all different from the snowman's hat rectangle.

We will be making flying geese like we did yesterday, one of each color square. I like to chain sew everything. It just goes a lot faster for me. Following the pattern, place a square on top of the rectangle, right sides together and sew diagonally corner to corner.

Trim  away the excess fabric, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

Repeat on the other end of the rectangle. Then trim away the excess fabric, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

Make the flying geese blocks using each color until you have 6 flying geese blocks total. Sew the flying geese blocks together until you have a 6 flying geese strip with all of the points facing the same direction.

Sew the flying geese strip to the hat top and the snowman face.

~ Scrappy Flying Geese Snowman ~


Remember the carrot and eyes are not added to the block yet!



Isn't it fun making snowman blocks! I just love them! If you feel extra ambitious, you can make extra ones for an adorable table runner to match your quilt! See you tomorrow for the next snowman quilt block! Remember to share your block on Instagram #scrappyhatsqal @quiltdoodledesigns

Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

You can also click on this link to purchase the instant PDF Download of the Scrappy Hats Pattern.
 

1 comment: