Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Scrappy Hats QAL Day 9

Welcome to Day 9

Our blocks are coming along nicely and it's fun to see everyone's progress! Today's block is a twist on a flying geese block, Flying Geese Diamonds. I use four different colors for this strip giving the illusion of two toned diamonds. You can use whatever color fabrics you want or you can follow the quilt layout sheet and use colors as pictured. This is the first scrappy hat brim strip in a series of Flying Geese strips, there'll be a couple more.

I know it might feel weird to be working on a winter quilt with Halloween just around the corner. But it's actually a great time to get a jump on holiday sewing. Are you working on this quilt for yourself or for a gift? This would make a wonderful gift for someone special! My quilt is for me, myself and I. I love decorating the house with quilts laying about here and there. Ready to snuggle up with.

Following the directions, I've cut out my fabric squares and rectangles. I've labeled the yellow/pink squares and blue rectangle A and B. The pink squares and yellow/blue rectangle C and D.

Place a square on top of the rectangle, right sides together and sew corner to corner. 

Trim away the excess fabric corner, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

Repeat on the opposite side of the rectangle, sew corner to corner. Trim away the excess fabric leaving a 1/4" seam. Make three flying geese blocks of each color set (A-B) and (C-D).

Sew a flying geese A/B rectangle to a flying geese C/D rectangle with the long edge of the triangle lined up, right sides together. The Flying Geese Diamond blocks measures 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". Make three total. Sew the 3 Flying Geese Diamond blocks together end to end to make the hat brim.

Then assemble the snowman block... I really love this color combo.

~ Flying Geese Diamonds Snowman ~

Remember the carrot and eyes are not added to the block yet!



Isn't it fun making snowman blocks! I just love them! If you feel extra ambitious, you can make extra ones for an adorable table runner to match your quilt! See you tomorrow for the next snowman quilt block! Remember to share your block on Instagram #scrappyhatsqal @quiltdoodledesigns

Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

You can also click on this link to purchase the instant PDF Download of the Scrappy Hats Pattern.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment