Thursday, August 31, 2017

September's Block

I just can't believe that September is already here! Summer is slipping away... there are tell tale signs that fall is right around the corner. The evenings are getting cooler, days are getting shorter and the leaves are just starting to change on a couple of the trees in my yard. This month, I have only one block for you, a watering can full of summer blooms. Coneflowers to be exact. My coneflowers usually bloom towards end of July and August. They are one of the last flowers to stick around and bloom up until fall. As I've mentioned before, my love of flowers and gardening comes from my grandma Lydia. She had such a green thumb. I just had to include a watering can full of flowers. Grandma had one of those big ol' tin watering cans on the farm.  I usually will pick a huge bouquet of flowers right before the first frost. Gathering summer's last hurrah...I always think of grandma when I come in the house with a huge bouquet of home grown flowers... now,
let me share a couple of sweet pictures from my family's cookbook of my grandma.


Grandma and Grandpa
(Lydia and Stephen)

This is one of my favorite recipes from grandma.
I love a wedge of this with a cup of coffee, it's wonderful for breakfast.
This is total comfort food for me.

Now onto this months design! I have one block for you to complete, next month is the last block for the quilt. I made my coneflowers a combination of pink, blue and purple flowers. 
This month's design will be put on the background white/cream fabric on point.

Find the center of your 12 1/2" square...
I used scraps of fabric leftover from my Dresden plates for the flowers. I had to dig thru my stash of fabric for some grey fabric for the watering can.

I have all my pieces cut out and ready to place on my background fabric.

All ironed in place and ready to be appliqued!

Machine stitching around all of the pieces.
~Watering Can~
I have been working on two versions of this quilt.
An applique one and embroidered one. I can't wait to show them both to you in a couple of months!

Patterns can be found on the Quilt Doodle website and on Craftsy (Not until the 1st of the month). Did you miss a pattern along the way? The past monthly patterns can be found in my Etsy and Craftsy shops for a small fee.
Last month I 'mislabled' August's block so there was some confusion. So August's block will be free the first week of September so that everyone can print up their free copy.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's watering can full of coneflowers.
My favorite picture of grandma and I, taken in front of her flower garden.
 I hope that you have a wonderful week. I'm gonna go run out to my garden and pick some flowers. I'm also busy canning tomatoes. So much to do, but so grateful my garden did so well this year. Happy September and back to school everyone!

          Let’s have some quilty fun!
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment