Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sashings and Borders!



I thought it would be a good time to release to you how to do the sashings and borders for the Quilt Doodle BOM 2013! woot! woot! I didn't want to wait until the end of the BOM to give you the finishing directions. December is too crazy busy to add sashings and borders.This way you can relax and work on them when you have time. I have all of mine finished and I plan on putting my quilt together soon so that I can get it quilted for the big reveal in December. I used a red for the dark and a cream print for the light fabric. Directions can be downloaded for free HERE and also in my Craftsy store. The finishing pattern will be free until the end of January 2014. Feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions! 

Here are all of my 2" strips out of my light and dark fabrics....
First I will construct my nine-patch blocks.... 

Sew together a light/dark/light strip... then cut into 2" segments...
you will need two for each block.

Then sew a dark/light/dark strip and cut into 2" segments....
you will need one for each block.

Here they are ready to be pieced for a nine-patch block.

The corner blocks....

You will need ten nine-patch blocks total.

Then you piece dark/light/dark strips using 12 dark 2" strips and 6 light 2" strips... then cut 12 1/2" segments for in between your blocks.
You need to make a total of 17 of these rectangle blocks.

Here's a preview of what it sorta will look like. Also a sneak peek at
November's block!

With the remaining strips, sew 6 light together end to end to form a
super long strip... make 2 long strips using the dark 2" strips.  Here
I have a pile of each super long strip, two red, 1 white.  Sew together to
make one long dark/light/dark segment. This will be used for your border.
When you are ready to border the quilt then you will cut it to size.


The borders and sashings for my BOM quilt.... can't wait to get
it all pieced together! Looking forward to seeing your's too!

For added chances to win the monthly prizes... post your nine-patch blocks, borders and sashings to the flickr group!

Happy quilting!



2 comments: