Monday, May 30, 2011

"Bad Box" July 7, 1863

Happy Memorial day to you all.  It is a cool and rainy day here in Minnesota.  It was raining July 7, 1863 when Nancy Elly Moore wrote in her diary about General Lee. 

"...It has been sprinkling rain in light showers today and looks like we might have a heavy shower tonight.  It is rumored here that General Lee is repulsed and 20,000 of his army captured by the Federals and one hundred cannon with a loss of 5000 killed and wounded and that they have destroyed all of his pontoon bridges and surrounded him so he cannot make his escape..... If this is all so he is in a bad box." 

This weekends block is titled 'Bad Box'.  Let's get started....

Working from Rosemary Youngs book, "Civil War Diary Quilt' I choose fabrics that are similar in color as what is presented.  I did go with a darker green then what was pictured.

I'm using foundation paper that I printed up using the companion CD for the book.  The foundation papers can easily be drafted using the book, remember to add 1/4" seams around each section.  There are 7 sections to this block.  I wrote the colors in each section so that I don't make any mistakes.

I cut my fabric into 2 and 3 inch strips to make it easier to work with while paper piecing.

Here you can see how I line up my fabric right sides together on the back side of my foundation paper.

Sewing on the line.... remember to sew past the 1/4" seam allowance....

I only have the corner pieces left....

Paper piecing the corner sections...

My sections of the block before I trim them up.... sorta messy...

All trimmed and ready to be sewn together....

Sewing the sections together....

"Bad Box"  July 7, 1863

Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr


Next Saturday, June 4th, I will be working on the next block titled "Robbers" from the Civil War Dairy Quilt Book by Rosemary Youngs.  
Hope that you're able to join me in my journey. Feel free to email me any time if you have questions or comments.

Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day.  Take time to thank and remember all of the men and women who have served and are serving our country for the freedoms that we enjoy on a daily basis. 

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment