Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hungry Soldiers and Dark Gloom

Wilson and I are excited to
try out the new CD!
An awesome surprise came in the mail on Monday!  Rosemary Youngs sent me the CD companion to the Civil War Diary Quilt and also some Abraham Lincoln fabric.  What a wonderful thing!  I must say... if you have EQ 5 or 6 and you are working on The Civil War Diary Quilt... the companion CD makes quilting so much easier!  So today when I worked on my Civil War Diary quilt I decided to give the CD a try.  Rosemary's directions on using the CD are so easy to follow and printing up foundation papers on the printer were a breeze.

Today I finished two blocks, Hungry Soldiers and Dark Gloom... follow along and let's work on this wonderful quilt together!



Let's start with Hungry Soldiers... I choose fabrics from my civil war stash that resembled the color choices shown in the book.  My green fabric has a definite stripe pattern so I will have to pay special attention to that as I construct the block.  I want the stripe to be consistent throughout the whole block.

Here is my hand drafted pattern that I created tracing the block out of the Civil War Diary Quilt Book and the printed pattern from the companion CD...


I decided to use the foundation paper that I printed up on my computer from the Civil War Diary CD.  I trimmed around the pieces, there are three sections to create this block...

While paper piecing remember to 'finger press' as you sew along...

Here I am lining up my fabric to create the #4 piece on the block.  I hold my foundation paper up to a light so that I can see the fabric that I am lining up to sew.  Notice the green stripe fabric and the darker fabric lining up along the seam line.  I will sew on the seam line and then trim up all of the excess fabric to create a 1/4" seam allowance...

Sewing on the seam line... notice how I sew past the 1/4" edge of the block.  Remember this will all be trimmed up...

Trimming the sections of each block... remember to leave the 1/4" seam allowance around each piece...


Sewing the sections of the block together... sewing on the printed line to create a 1/4" seam.  I love paper piecing!  It's so easy to match up seams and create perfect corners!
 

Hungry Soldiers... all done!
 Now let's move onto 'Dark Gloom'... I have a purple phobia when it comes to quilting.  I rarely use the color purple and rarely choose it when I work on any quilt projects.  Don't know why... I like the color, I had a purple bedroom while growing up.  Remember Donny's purple socks???  I loved purple as a pre-teen in love with the Osmond's.... well, I had to use purple in this block and I have to say,  it wasn't so hard to work with and I am pleased with how this block turned out.  But remember 'Rachel's Frustrations' and how I reversed the light and dark in the center of the block.... well I did it again!  If you compare the book with my block, you will see what I mean.  Oh well, my Civil War Diary Quilt will be unique...
Here are my fabric choices for Dark Gloom along with the foundation paper that I printed on my printer using the companion CD from Rosemary Youngs...


I trimmed up the sections and laid them out on my cutting board, I wrote in the blocks the colors following the color choices in the book.  I again forgot to reverse my light and darks on the triangle pieces so my finished blocked turned out slightly different than pictured...

paper piecing my blocks following the order given on the foundation paper that I printed up.... remember if you draft your own, it is helpful to number your sections...

Trimming the finished block sections, leaving a 1/4" seam.

'Dark Gloom' all ready to be sewn together.


Sewing the sections of the block together... sewing on the printed line to create a 1/4" seam. 

All done!  9 done 2 more to do to finish a row in the quilt!

Next week join me as I work on 'Alvin McClure' and 'Greenfield and Stockton'...
Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1547598@N25/

Happy quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Your block is beautiful!! That method yields some really accurate blocks...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete