Tuesday, October 31, 2023

November's Block Santa's Journey BOM


Happy November last night was a lot of fun. I love Halloween! It was fun to see all of the trick or treaters out and about even though it was a cold evening with remnants of our overnight snowfall. Yes, we woke up to snow yesterday morning! I made my traditional mummy meatloaf and a Jack Skellington pumpkin pie for my family. It was pretty good.  Now onto this month's section of the quilt. I decided to split up this month's planned sewing into two. So, the final applique sections will be out December 1st. There is a section that can be pre-sewn together and I will go over that in this blog posting for those of you who want to get a head start on sewing. This month we will be doing a Santa and his reindeer applique onto the Merry Christmas to all... panel. 

Make sure you head on over to Quiltdoodledesigns.com and download the pattern. It's free the month of November. Gather your fabrics, try to work from your scraps from the previous blocks if you can. I have also added a few fabrics from my fabric stash. Those of you who got the kits may want to do this also. 

After you print up the applique pattern, trace the shapes to the paper side of your fusible web.

Following the manufacture instructions, iron onto the back side of the fabric grouping shapes that will use the same color fabric. Then cut all the shapes out.

You will lay these shapes out onto the Merry Christmas to all fabric panel. (Here's a big sneak peek at what the finished quilt will look like. 

Peel the paper backing off your shapes and lay them out onto the 'Merry Christmas to all...' panel. Some of the shapes will overlap. 

Following the pattern directions position the four reindeer onto the panel. Once you are happy with the placement of the design, iron in place.

The finished design will be embellished with fabric yo-yo snowflakes and buttons. I advise that you wait until your quilt is quilted before you add the 3-dimensional embellishments. you can stitch around the edges of the design with a buttonhole or satin stitch if you want. I recommend doing this if you plan on using this quilt.

When your quilt is quilted, the reindeer can be embellished with embroidery or buttons to add extra details. I'm planning on using buttons on my quilt.

If you'd like to sew ahead, piece the small trees and small gold house together as pictures. Sew the blocks together using a 1/4" seam. Iron.


Finished measurements of the 2023 BOM quilt will be 60" x 70"

 Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  


If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the monthly patterns.

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! 

I have also been posting time lapse videos on my Instagram feed on how to stitch the blocks together. @quiltdoodledesigns. I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching! Next month we will finish up the applique onto our quilt blocks and also assemble our quilt.

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine
The Jack Skellington pumpkin pie I made for Halloween.




2 comments:

  1. Such Happy little Reindeer!!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I liked your approach to the topic. Excited to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete