Tuesday, August 1, 2023

August's Block, Gold House

 

Happy August! Summer is flying by! We just got back from our family vacation spent at the lake and it seems as soon as we are back, we are already thinking about end of summer. It used to mark back to school events but now that the boys are all grown up, it's more summer is almost over. It was nice to come home and be greeted by a small harvest of cherry tomatoes and a zucchini. I'm looking forward to canning tomatoes so I'm hoping for a bumper crop! I made my first batch of cowboy candy, and my boys are happy. What is cowboy candy? It's pickled jalapenos. Super spicey! My guys like it on egg sandwiches.

This month's block is a gold house. One block! Summer is busy with fun family activities, back to school events, so I thought one block would be easy to do. 
Download the PDF pattern and print it up. Following the cutting directions, cut all of the pieces for the house block. I used 'leftover' pieces of fabric from what I've cut so far to cut out these shapes.

I find it helpful to lay out the block pieces next to my sewing machine. It helps me construct the block correctly. The pattern has a block layout page to help you construct the house block.

After the block is constructed, square it up to measure 7" x 7". 

Trace the wreath shape onto the paper side of your fusible web for iron on applique. Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron onto the back of the green fabric. I like using my applique scissors to cut the shape out. Then peel off paper and iron onto the house block centering it between the upper windows.

~ Gold House Block ~


The gold house block measures 7" x 7", smaller than the other house blocks that you have made. 
 Help spread the word and tell all your quilting friends about this fun wintery block of the month! Each month we will work on a new section of this mystery quilt. There's basic piecing, some applique and other fun embellishments. As always, the monthly directions will be free during that month and then available for a small fee after that.
Finished measurements of the 2023 BOM quilt is 60" x 70"

Grab the button and link it to the Quilt Doodle Blog and help spread the word! 

I will be doing two versions of this quilt as we sew along. The blue version and then a white one. It will be the same pattern just a different background. Make sure to download the PDF directions on the website. Grab your fabric and start sewing!

 Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  


If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the monthly patterns.

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! 

I have also been posting time lapse videos on my Instagram feed on how to stitch the blocks together. @quiltdoodledesigns. I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching! Wishing you a wonderful day, if you follow me on Instagram, you will see I'm on a special trip to NYC to visit Marcus Fabrics/Timeless Treasures. Looking forward to showing you some fun stuff!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine


8 comments:

  1. Hi, Cindy - I still have not received the June Santa's Journey Block that I bought in your Etsy shop (because I didn't get it while free...) I emailed you about this last month, but it has not arrived in my email. Can you please send? thanks!

    ReplyDelete