Monday, March 21, 2022

Purple Fleur Needle Book


~ Purple Fleur Needle Book ~


 Welcome! Today it's all about my least favorite color, purple! Yes, I did say, least favorite color. I am purple phobic. It is not a color found easily in my fabric collection; I have to dig for it. It doesn't make sense, I had a purple bedroom growing up, a Donny Osmond poster on my wall. (Remember the purple socks!) I like the color purple. I just don't use it in quilts very often. Today is Mondays with Marcus Series III. So today, Sarah and I will be presenting a project in purple. So, make sure to jump onto Instagram and check out our projects. You can also find links on Mondays with Marcus Facebook page. Join in on the fun! There're tons of inspiring projects for you to try out along with chances to win prizes! So go like the Mondays with Marcus page. Follow the links to our projects and have some quilty fun! If you make any of our projects, make sure to tag us #mondayswithmarcus on Facebook and or Instagram. We would love to see what you are working on!

Let me show you how I put this sweet little book together! They go together amazingly quick, even with the stitching!
Trace the fleur design onto the cream fabric. I used a Frixion pen, the lines will disappear with the heat of an iron.

I'm not sure if the lines will disappear over time, I did my embroidery right after I traced the design.

Embroider the design using backstitch, French knots and lazy daisy stitch. I am using #12 pearl cotton. You can also use 3 strands of DMC floss.


Following the pattern, cut out all of the pieces that you will need for the project. Fussy cut the embroidery design to measure 3 3/4" x 3 3/4".

Sew the 1" strips to the top and bottom of the embroidery design. Press.

Sew the purple rectangle piece to the left side of the pieced embroidery section and press. Then layer the lining, pieced rectangle right sides together on batting. Pin if desired. Sew 4 sides and a 1/4" seam leaving a 3" gap for turning.

Top stitch around outer edge.

 If desired, stitch a decorative stitch around the design and around the edge. I used purple thread and stitched a decorative buttonhole stitch.

Take one of the felt pieces and fold in half, pressing lightly to make a crease. Lay the creased felt on top of the second piece and center them on the inside of the needle book cover.

Stitch on the crease with your sewing machine. I used my walking foot.

Press your needle case in the 'closed' position.

Tuck a couple of pretty pins and needle in your needle case and you are set to go!

To add more character to your book you can stitch some pretty flowers on the pages or sew on a couple of buttons. A running stitch around the edges of the pages would be really cute too!

I love needle books; I have a few. I keep one with each of the stitching projects I have started. We all have those WIP! A handmade needle book is a great gift to make your quilting friends. They are fun to hand out at quilt retreats. Add a needle minder and a couple of pins and it's a wonderful surprise!

Happy quilting!
Cindy

You can find the FREE pattern for Purple Fleur Needle Book

No comments:

Post a Comment