Thursday, October 1, 2020

October's Block Grandma's Attic BOM


Happy October! The leaves are turning here in Minnesota and it is stunning. Hubby and I are looking forward to a weekend up north in a week. It'll be fun to go to the northern shore of Minnesota and walk some of the trails. It'll be a nice getaway from our work at home life. We look forward to the change of scenery even though I do believe we will miss the fall colors peak up north, oh well. I have been enjoying the change of season so it is fitting that this month's block is a traditional Maple Leaf block. 

 You can use all the same color or make your block scrappy by using several red fabrics. So go to the Quilt Doodle Website and download the pattern. Let's get started!

To begin with, follow the directions on the PDF that you download and cut out all of your pieces, and label as shown on the pattern. Feel free to make your block scrappy if you would like. Have fun, relax and sew.
Starting with the triangles labeled ‘B’, sew the ‘light’ and ‘dark triangle pieces together. Iron. Trim these triangle squares to measure 3 7/8" x 3 7/8" squares. I use a scant 1/4" seam on my machine, your machine may be different. You will make a total of 16 triangle squares, 4 for each block.

Using the red rectangles labeled D and the cream/white triangles labeled C, construct the stem block following the diagram below.
Make a total of four stem blocks, one for each leaf block. These blocks will measure 3 7/8" x 3 7/8" square. 

Following the diagram on your PDF pattern, lay out your block pieces to form the block and sew each 'row'.



Then sew the rows together matching up the seams. Iron. Trim the block to measure 10 1/2" x 10 1/2". Make 4 blocks total.

And then sew the four leaf blocks together to  make one large 20 1/2 " x 20 1/2 " block.


~ Maple Leaves ~

 I hope you have fun making this month's block.  Remember the goal is to use fabric from your stash!

The monthly FREE pattern is available on my website. I have a special 2020 BOM section on my website. Each month the FREE pattern will be posted. But as soon as the new section or block is out the old block pattern will no longer be a freebie. But it will still be available for a small fee on my website or in my Etsy shop. If you want to share your finished blocks, feel free to post them on Facebook Group (Quilt Doodle Designs Grandmas Attic BOM 2020) and tag me or post them on Instagram tag Quilt Doodle Designs. I love to see everyone's progress as we stitch along together. 

Remember to post your blocks onto the Facebook Group, I'm thinking of having another little giveaway. I'll be posting on the Facebook Group a winner for September's block later today.

Happy quilting! 
Cindy and Belvedere

5 comments:

  1. I think we have to sew the leaf blocks together, not snowball blocks unless I am missing something :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol..... thank you for letting me know, it's been corrected ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I love the entire set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! The leaves are turning here in Tennessee, too!

    ReplyDelete