Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Goldfinch

 

We celebrated my nieces graduation a couple weekends ago. The tables were decorated with vases of wildflowers freshly picked that morning. It was such a beautiful detail and I was smitten with the yellow flowers which my sis told me were gray headed coneflowers.

 These lovely flowers were the inspiration for my new Goldfinch design. I dug thru my fabric and found the perfect shades of fabric to complete my design and I bet you have fabric that will work for this sweet appliqué design too! 

I spent a morning doodling and came up with an adorable design featuring a goldfinch and gray headed coneflowers. The funny thing about these flowers is the flower head doesn't turn gray until the coneflower starts to fade, otherwise they have a dark center.
                                            I traced my shapes onto my fusible interfacing.
I dug thru my fabric and found the perfect colors for my design.
I apologize for the blurry picture.... I didn't realize it was so bad when I took it. But you can see I have  ironed all the design section onto the backside of the fabric. They are now all ready to cut out.
I have all of my pieces cut out and now am ready to lay them out onto my towel.
Use the pattern placement sheet for where the pieces should go. Some pieces overlap others and I usually refer to the color picture on the pattern cover to help me out.

Everything is fused in place and all ready to stitch around.
I am using a 2.5 x 2.5 stitch width and length on my machine. Using a brown thread I stitch around all of the raw edges.

The flowers are tricky.... go slow and stop and pivot with your needle in the downward position.
When you are done machine appliqueing the design it's time to do a little hand stitching. I used a black pearl cotton to stitch the birds eye with a French knot.
~ Goldfinch ~

I hope that you enjoy this new design. It is available on the Quilt Doodle Website and also in my Etsy store. It would be cute with an added border and turned into a wall hanging or table runner.
I stitched mine onto a tea towel for in my kitchen. I thought I would drape it over a side of a mixing bowl on my counter.

Hope you have a great day!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere



2 comments: