Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Wrapping up Garden Sunshine


http://www.quiltdoodledesigns.com/BOM-2017.html
Happy New Year! I hope that you are have a relaxing day planned. I know I'm going to hang out with hubby and watch tv and I'm looking forward to the lazy day since we stayed up late to see the midnight fireworks! We hung out at home since Belvedere isn't a fireworks fan. We look forward to the midnight display that we can watch right from our front yard. We bundle up and watch the bursts of color with our glasses of champagne in hand. A great way to ring in the New Year!

 This month is the last installment of the Garden Sunshine BOM. We will finish up the last two blocks and then it's time to sew the quilt blocks together and add the borders. The final directions can be found on the Quilt Doodle Website I hope that you have enjoyed working on this quilt over the last year. I look forward to seeing your finished quilts. Keep on posting them to the BOM Facebook Group. 

I used the cream background fabric, and Aunt Grace 1930's fabrics in some pretty colors. Following the directions cut all of your block pieces out.

With right sides together, align one cream square with one edge of the 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle as shown and stitch corner to corner.

Trim away the excess fabric.

Press.

Repeat on the other edge. This will form a flying geese rectangle. Make one red, orange, yellow and blue. You can also use any colors of your choice too.

Stitch the four flying geese rectangles together. This should measure 12 1/2" x 6 1/2". Then with right sides together stitch the cream/background rectangle to the flying geese rectangle sewing along the long side. Press. Finished measurement is 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" square. 
Following the instructions provided by the fusible web manufacturer, trace 1 set of the design pieces grouping together pieces that will be using the same fabric. 

Cut pieces out.  Follow the pattern placement sheet, center on cream/white section on the block following the picture and pattern placement sheet. Iron in place. 

Using a blanket, zig zag or satin stitch on your sewing machine; sew along the edges of all the pieces. Following the design picture.  Practice on some scrap material if you are new to machine appliqué.


~Dragonfly Block~

Remember the blocks can also be embroidered.

Following the directions cut all your pieces out for the star block. You will make a total of 4 stars and then sew these stars together to form your final star block. To begin, pair together background rectangles with star fabric squares, with right sides together sew from corner to corner. Trim away the excess fabric. Press.

Repeat on the opposite end of the rectangle. Trim away the excess fabric. Press.

I find it helpful to lay the pieces out on my cutting board and then start to sew the block together.

First I sew the single star blocks together.

Then I sew the four stars together to form the block.
~Stars Block~

After all of your blocks are done then it is time to put your quilt together. Following the quilt layout page, sew all of your blocks together. Then add the borders. Quilt your quilt as desired and bind. Voila! Garden Sunshine is all done and ready for you to display!
~Garden Sunshine~

The monthly FREE pattern is available on my website. I have a special 2019 BOM section on my website. Each month the FREE pattern will be posted. But as soon as the new section or block is out the old block pattern will no longer be a freebie. But it will still be available for a small fee on my website or in my Etsy shop. If you want to share your finished blocks, feel free to post them on Facebook Group (Quilt Doodle Designs Garden Sunshine BOM 2019) and tag me or post them on Instagram tag Quilt Doodle Designs. I love to see everyone's progress as we stitch along together. 
As a reminder... if someone asks for the PDF or where it is on the Facebook group, please do not post the PDF directly onto the site. I appreciate you referring them to my website or to the blog. Thank you!

 Hope you are having a great day, remember December's block is no longer FREE. It can be found in my ETSY shop and also on the Quilt Doodle Website for a small fee. To get this month's block, head on over to Quilt Doodle Designs... remember this block is only available this month as a FREE PDF download. 

Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere


After this month, this BOM will be all done and the previous blocks will no longer be free. The complete pattern will be available in my ETSY shop for those of you who didn't have a chance to join in on the fun.

Coming January 15th
The Grandma's Attic BOM will begin January 15th and then the 1st of each month after that. There will be a new block design each month for a total of 12....  it will be a traditional sampler quilt. I'm planning it as a stash buster. It's based on two colors, a main color and a white/cream background color. You can choose any color for your main color, blue, red, green, anything....I'm making mine out of red fabrics. I have a lot of red Civil War fabric on hand, so that is what I'm using for mine. So go raid your stash for some fabric. You will need;

4 1/2 yards white/cream
4 yards red
1/2 yard red for binding
5 1/3 yard for backing

The finished size is 67" x 87"

The monthly FREE pattern is available on my website. I have a special 2019 BOM section on my website. Each month the FREE pattern will be posted. But as soon as the new section or block is out the old block pattern will no longer be a freebie. But it will still be available for a small fee on my website or in my Etsy shop. If you want to share your finished blocks, feel free to post them on Facebook Group (Quilt Doodle Designs Grandmas Attic BOM 2020) and tag me or post them on Instagram tag Quilt Doodle Designs. I love to see everyone's progress as we stitch along together. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful BOM...I have all the patterns saved up and now just have to find the time to get started! Have a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is gorgeous. It all comes together so well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Cindy. I have really enjoyed this BOM. Your quilt looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete