Sunday, December 9, 2018

12 Days of Christmas Day 9


Day 9

Welcome to the ninth day of the Quilt Doodles 12 Days of Christmas. I've got another fun project for you! Have you noticed that buffalo plaid is everywhere this holiday season? I love red and black buffalo plaid. I bought three yards of it planning on making a blouse for myself for Christmas Eve. It's flannel, warm and yummy.... but I've been making a few other things with it.... whoopsies.... you've seen the wine bags.... well I needed a couple of new trivets/potholders for my kitchen. So I decided to make a leaping reindeer potholder. The applique shape can be found on my website HERE.  It's a freebie and can be downloaded and printed anytime. 

For this project you will need a 12" square of fabric for the backing, a 12" square of batting, a 12" square of white snowflake fabric for the front, a 2 1/2" x 44" strip for the binding, and a black 9" square for the leaping deer applique.

Trace the leaping deer design onto your heat n bond and iron it onto the backside of your black fabric.

Iron it onto your white fabric square centering it.

Machine applique along the edge using black thread and a small buttonhole stitch.

Layer the backing, batting and applique front to make a quilt sandwich. Then quilt as desired.

Using a 9 1/2" square ruler, trim the block down to measure 9 1/2" x 9 1/2"

I love my OLFA tools....

I made two leaping reindeer quilted blocks, all ready to bind them.

Fold the binding strip in half wrong sides together lengthwise and sew from the backside using a 1/4" seam. Remember to miter the corners.

Then fold the binding around to the front and stich it down using a straight stitch close to the edge of the folded binding. Remember to miter the corners.

~ Leaping Reindeer Pot Holder ~

It can also be used as a mug rug, mini quilt or candle mat! So cute.
These turned out too cute to put a hot casserole on, I might have to tuck them into a couple of Christmas socks for gifts. This is a fun project and any applique design can be put on the front. I was able to get these done in an afternoon.

Happy quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy i have just discovered your wonderful blog,i am also your newest follower,hope you will visit and follow me too. Thand you so much for the deer pattern ,you are very generous with making it a freebie.
    I love the deer mats that you have made,well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to You and Your Family.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for giving us the shape. This is a great design for potholders - nothing to be in the way! Your 12 days are so much fun. =)

    ReplyDelete