Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Canning Day....

Fresh ingredients all ready.... notice
in the background, Wilson is
posing for the picture!
It's that time of year again when the garden screams for attention and I am overcome with tomatoes.... I love fresh tomatoes sooo very much!  I eat cherry tomatoes like popcorn, by the bowl full.  I ran across a V-8 recipe that I thought I would try, and then I decided I would share it with you too!

V-8 Juice for Canning
 But I'm not sure why I'm bothering to can this.... my husband     will drink it by the pitcher full!

8 quarts chopped fresh ripe tomatoes
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 large onions shopped
1  1/2 cups diced celery
4 carrots diced
 2 bay leaves
12 fresh basil leaves (2 teaspoon dried)
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice

Place all ingredients, except lemon juice in a large stainless steel pot.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes until veggies are soft.  I then run the mixture through the blender and strain.  Return the juice to the pot and stir in the lemon juice and bring to a boil. 
Pour juice into clean hot canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process for 40 minutes in a boiling water bath.

V-8 cooking away....
Yum.... all ready for this winter... if it lasts that long.
My sister and I also picked sweet corn this weekend at my sister-in-laws home, so I am also busy freezing corn.  Not much quilting going on today but tons of canning... my favorite sweet corn recipe for freezing can be found below...

10 containers all ready for the freezer.  Woot! Woot!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I pinned it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete