Monday, December 19, 2011

Peppermint Meringues

I love meringue cookies so I thought I would make some.  Last year I blogged about my 'Forgotten Kisses' which have been a family favorite for years.  (I'm making 14 dozen of these for the cookie exchange this Wednesday) This year I am trying a new recipe that I thought I would share with you... they look so festive on the cookie tray.  These would also look so cute packed in a Holiday cookie gift box for the neighbors....

Peppermint Meringues
from: allrecipes.com

2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
2 peppermint candy canes, crushed

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cream of tartar; (I also added 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract);  beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased foil lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the crushed candy.  (I also sprinkled red edible glitter on the cookies) Bake at 225 for 1-1/2 hours.Turn off heat; leave cookies in the oven with the door ajar for at least 1 hour or until cool. Store in an airtight container.  I doubled the recipe and got about 4 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!  Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment