Saturday, September 10, 2011

Beginning of War 1861

 April 16, 1861
"Raining hard this morning.  Richard came down for the mail. Got news that the war has commenced at Charleston on last Friday. Could enough to snow tonight."

Hannah Walton Sanders

Diary entry from The Civil War Diary Quilt by Rosemary Youngs

This weekend the Nation is remembering 9-11.  The beginning of a 'new' war.  My son Thomas was in first grade when 9-11 happened and has no real recollection of the day, only what he's seen over the years on the TV.  I remember standing in the kitchen having my coffee and watching the morning news.  It was a beautiful fall morning.  I was mortified as I watched what followed, wondering if I should pick my kids up from school.  I remember calling my dad who was home to see if he's heard about what was happening in NY.  I remember visiting NYC on a class field trip as a child and seeing the Twin Towers. Today,  I've been bouncing back a forth watching the special coverage of the speeches etc and canning tomatoes.  Life goes on but we must never forget.

Let me show you how I completed the next block, 'Beginning of War'....
If you need a refresher on how to do paper piecing, here's a great video I found on You Tube;


Here are my fabrics that I choose to do the block in.  Very similar to the book.

The block is broken down into 4 sections.  I wrote the colors in each section.

Here the middle strip is done.  It is made up of two sections.  I couldn't wait to see the block finished!  I love the color combination.

Here the block is all done.  It's one of my favorites.  I'm two blocks away from having my third row done.  How exciting!

Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1547598@N25/

Next week I will be working on 'Church' from the Civil War Dairy Quilt Book.  Have a wonderful week and hope that you can join me next week as I continue on my Civil War Diary Quilt journey.

Happy quilting!


The Civil War Diary Quilt Book can be bought through paypal or through the mail from Rosemary Youngs...
The Civil War Diary Quilt book is available for $22.99 plus $4.95 priority mail, (global priority mail $11.95) . You can order the CD with the book, you will need  Electric Quilt 5 or 6 to run the CD, the CD alone is $10 and there is no extra charge for postage when you order the book with the CD, total cost for the CD with the book will be $32.99 plus your postage.
Send a check or money order to Rosemary Youngs, 3704 Nicole Ct., Walker, MI 49534

1 comment:

  1. me, me, (raising hand and waving) i'm following your block progress. great job on this tricky one and love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete