Saturday, August 27, 2011

Remembrances

Hannah Walton Sanders
1806-1876
It's Saturday!  And I am back to blog about the Civil War Diary Quilt that I am working on.  I hope that you are able to join me in my journey.  I haven't been real consistent with my posts this summer but I am plugging along on the quilt and enjoy reading the diary entries and working on the blocks.  I would like to share with you the next block.  It's called 'Remembrances' and is the first block in the chapter about Hannah Walton Sanders.  Hannah married William John Sanders on June 2, 1825.  She was 19 years old. I love the fact that they eloped!  She climbed down a ladder from her bedroom, forgot her gloves, and returned up the ladder for them.  What a sweet story.  They had five children.  Hannah's family farm is still owned by her descendants.  The diary entries featured for this block from Hannah, are about her loved ones that she misses and mourns for.  Her Uncle Adams, Aunt Senah and her son, George.

Here is how I completed the block 'Remembrances' from Rosemary's book...

I have chosen fabrics from my Civil War stash in traditional mourning colors, purple and black...

Using the foundation paper that I printed up from the companion CD, I wrote the colors in each of the sections.

I find it easier to paper piece when my fabrics are cut in strips....

Here you can see that I am sewing on the lines and pass the 1/4 seam allowance...

The center star is completed.  It's soooooo cute!

"Remembrances"
Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1547598@N25/
Next week I will be working on Troops Arriving' from the Civil War Dairy Quilt Book.  Next weekend is Labor Day, can't believe that summer is coming to a close and school is right around the corner.  Many of us will be cramming in some more summertime  next weekend.  So whatever your plans are, I hope you have a wonderful time.  I'm hoping to get to the Minnesota State Fair.  I'm looking forward to the arts building and all of the beautiful quilts on display.  I'm also looking forward to some gooey, yummy cheese curds and Sweet Martha's Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Happy quilting!


The Civil War Diary Quilt Book can be bought through paypal or through the mail from Rosemary Youngs...
The Civil War Diary Quilt book is available for $22.99 plus $4.95 priority mail, (global priority mail $11.95) . You can order the CD with the book, you will need  Electric Quilt 5 or 6 to run the CD, the CD alone is $10 and there is no extra charge for postage when you order the book with the CD, total cost for the CD with the book will be $32.99 plus your postage.
Send a check or money order to Rosemary Youngs, 3704 Nicole Ct., Walker, MI 49534













No comments:

Post a Comment