Monday, September 25, 2023

Cutting a Panel - Part 3 Piano Key Table Runner

 

The nights are getting cooler and is a reminder that fall and dare I say, winter is on the way. It's actually the perfect time to work on some holiday projects. I made the cutest table runner with a piano key border. It was fun to put together and a great way to use my strip it and Snowfolks fabrics. I used the 'center' rectangle in my Snowfolks panel, the one featuring the snowmen making smores. It's a great project to make to go with a Snowfolks quilt! You will need the following to make a piano key table runner. You'll need 1 Snowfolks panel, 1 fat quarter for the corner triangles. 1/8 yard of each of the Snowfolks coordinating fabrics. I also used the strip it fabric to make the runner scrappier.  For the binding you will need 1/4 yard. You will also need a backing fabric, 2/3 yard and batting. The finished measurements of the table runner is 21 1/2" x 33 1/2". You will also need a strip of cream measuring 4" by the width of the fabric.

I fussy cut the panel design first making sure that it was at least 12 1/2" for the height, I did not pay attention to the design's width, I just squared it off. I then added the cream 4" strips to each end and squared the pieced rectangle to 12 1/2" x 24 1/2"

For the piano key border I cut several 2" by width of fabric strips, even out of the strip it fabric. I then sew the strips together and cut the pieced strip into 5" sections. I cut additional 2" x 5" pieces to add to the pieced borders to make it a little scrappier. You will need two sections made of eight rectangles for the ends and two sections for the top and bottom made from sixteen rectangles.

Sew the sixteen rectangle sections to the top and bottom of the table runner.

From the fat quarter, cut one 8" x 8" square. Then cut the square in half corner to corner once and then again to form 4 triangles.

Insert the triangles into the corners. Sew a triangle to each side of the eight-section border strip lining up the 'edge' seam using a 1/4" seam. Sew the triangle pieced border to each side of the table runner lining up the square edge of the triangle corner as shown. 

Layer the top with batting and the backing and quilt as desired.

Using a quilting ruler and rotary cutter and square up the sides and top and bottom.

Square up the triangle corner and trim away the excess fabric. And then bind as desired.

~ Snowfolks Piano Key Table runner ~

I hope that you enjoyed this little tutorial. This table runner along with all of my Snowfolks projects will be on display at the 2023 Willmar Country Quilters Quilt Show. The quilt show hours are Saturday, September 30th 9:00AM - 5:00PM and Sunday, October 1st 11:00AM - 4:00PM at the Willmar Event Center. The ladies that put this show on are fabulous and the quilts on display are amazing! Hope to see you there! I'll be putting on a small trunk show although I don't know that time for that. You can always stop by my booth; I would love to see you!  I'll have kits and patterns on display for purchase along with samples on display. 

Hope to see you there!
Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Josephine

Panels and coordinating fabric can be found 

No comments:

Post a Comment