Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Septembers Block and Cornerstones

September has arrived, where did the summer go? Kids will be back to school soon, the state fair is in its last week, true signs that summer is over... our summer was so full of events that it sure flew by! It's hard to believe that we will soon be thinking about getting the fall decorations out. I do have a maple tree that is turning, it always feels like it's too soon, but this maple is always the first tree in our yard to turn. 

This month's block features sunflowers and a set a sparrow, yes, another set of sparrows. There are so many different sparrows in my bird book. These feathered friends have a little different coloring. I also had to feature some sunflowers. My sunflowers are in full bloom right now, they are so pretty. I love how their little flower heads turn towards the sun! I leave my sunflowers in the garden thru winter so that the birds have the seeds to nibble on thru the cold months.

 So let me show you how I have made this month's block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....

Trace the applique shapes onto the paper side of your fusible web. I use Flexifuse. I then group the shapes using the same color with the fabric.

Go thru your fabric and pull the colors that you are going to use for the block.

Group the shapes with the fabric colors. Following the manufacturer directions, I then iron the fusible web onto the backside of my fabric. Then cut all the shapes out...

Cut all of the pieces out.

Following the pattern placement sheet, position all the applique shapes on the cream background rectangle. Notice how some of the shapes overlap. Iron everything in place.

I like to use an open toe foot for applique stitch. It's easier to see needle and stitch placement. I am using a brown thread to buttonhole stitch around the
 design. 



~ Sparrow ~

Today we will also work on making the cornerstones for the quilt top. I used a light and a dark fabric. You will need 1/2 yard dark and 3/4-yard light. The extra will be used in other parts of the quilt. I am using a variety of light-colored fabrics to add up the 3/4 yard in the quilt I am working on. All of my light fabrics are coordinates that I had in my fabric stash from Marcus. The directions for the block can also be found on the website.

The fabric I'm using for my cornerstone blocks.

The finished blocks will measure 4 ½” x 4 ½” square block (including seam allowance)




From dark fabric cut-

40- 2 7/8” x 2 7/8” squares, then cut in half diagonally to form 80 triangles (A).

 From light fabric cut- 20- 3 3/8” x 3 3/8” squares (B).




·         Line up the diagonal edge of a dark triangle A along the edge of the light square B, right sides together. Center the triangle so that the ‘tails’ are even on each side. Sew a ¼” seam along the diagonal edge.

    Repeat on the opposite side of the square B.

     Press to the dark side.

 


Line up the diagonal edge of a dark triangle A along the edge of the light square B, right sides together. Center the triangle so that the ‘tails are even on each side of the block. Sew a ¼” seam along the diagonal edge.

    Repeat on the opposite side of the square B.

      Press.


     Trim the block up to measure 4 ½” x 4 ½”. Make 20 blocks total and set aside for when we assemble the quilt top. Remember we still have a few more birds to do.

Each month will feature an applique design, I have a stash of basic colors that I use for applique, I bet you do too! You will also need a basic cream or white for the applique blocks. You will need 1 3/4 yards of a cream/white background fabric. It can be a tone on tone or neutral print. This cream fabric will also be used for the top and bottom boarders along with some pieced cornerstones. You can also get scrappy with your cream fabrics! The applique blocks will measure 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (this includes the seam allowance).

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the pattern

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! I will be ending this year's BOM with some giveaways. Make sure to stayed tuned for that!
I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching! I'm off to my sewing room to do some piecing. 

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this series! I accidentally dumped a couple of years of EVERYONE's patterns I'd saved, so I will be going back and ordering a few at a time. I had backups for before that, thankfully, but that's what I get for being so dumb sometimes. LOL Thanks for having them on your page for digital downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been doing it wrong the entire year! 😂 I just added the pattern page to my Home Screen without adding it to the cart and downloading! 🤦‍♀️ Some years my brain works better than others. I hope you’ll do something like this again next year so I can save them correctly. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete