Monday, March 1, 2021

Skunk!

 

Happy March! It feels like spring is right around the corner even though it snowed overnight. The sun is shining and the snow is quickly melting away. Many animals are still tucked away in their winter homes. I'm sure the little skunks are too! This month features a sweet little skunk. It's a fun design to applique, the PDF pattern is available on the website. Remember the PDF pattern is free for the month that it is out. As soon as a monthly pattern is available, the older patterns will be available at a cost of $2.50 each. The Fox pattern from last month is no longer available for free. So go on over the the website and download your pattern. This month we will only be working on the skunk design. So if you bought the quilt kit, we will only be using the cream primo plaid and the fat quarters. Let's get started...

From the cream primo plaid, cut a 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" square for the moose block.

I've gathered everything that I'll need to complete the applique for this block.

Trace the applique design onto the paper side of your fusible interfacing. Then roughly cut them out and iron them onto the back side of your fabrics. Gold- star, red- scarf, cream/white- skunks stripe and ears, black- skunks head and body. Remember to follow the fusible web manufacturer's directions. 

Cut your pieces out. I like to use my OLFA applique scissors.

Following the placement page in the directions, peel off the paper backing and lay the applique out onto the 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" square.

I have a 'board' that I picked up from the dollar store years ago that I use to slip under my block to transfer it to my ironing board. It sure is handy! Iron the design in place.

I am using a white thread to go around the skunk's stripe and black thread to stitch around everything else.

The stitch setting I am using for my buttonhole stitch is 2.5 length and 2.5 width. Make sure to use the same setting for all of your blocks. After you are done stitching around everything. Embroider the skunk's eye with a french knot using #12 black pearl cotton. Stitch the fringe of the scarf using a #12 green pearl cotton and a straight stitch. Three strands of DMC floss also could be used.

 
~Woodland Skunk~

I hope that you join me in this years BOM. It's an adorable quilt when it is done. Remember it's a mystery. You will get a new block each month and in December 2021 we will assemble the quilt together. The finished size of the quilt is 65" x 80". Each month the pattern is a free PDF instant download after that it will be available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop. I have a limited number of Woodland Holiday fabric kits in my Etsy and on the website. It's not too late to order one!

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! I post links and sneak peeks throughout the month so you are to be sure not to miss anything. I hope that you have a wonderful relaxing day and find some time to quilt.

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere



5 comments:

  1. Oh my...I thought the January fox was cute, but this skunk is in close competition for cuteness. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute little skunk for us to stitch. I have mine printed off already :0)
    I did notice that the color key is from last month , easy to figure out from you photos. I just thought you might like to know of the little oops.
    in stitches
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up! It's all fixed now. :)

      Delete
  3. What a cute little stinker! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete