Thursday, June 18, 2020

Embroidery 101-5

Welcome to my fifth installment showcasing different embroidery stitches. Today I’m going to show you a threaded running stitch and a variation on a buttonhole stitch. I used them both on my Woodland Getaway panel but I think you could also experiment with these stitches on my other panels too. I’m using a #12 pearl cotton from Valdani thread for my stitching.

I used this variation on the wheel of the camper. I thought it would be a fun stitch to color in the tire... let me show you how easy this stitch is...
To start, bring your needle up at the outer edge.

Then poke the needle down in the center rim of the wheel and back up on the outer edge wrapping the thread around like you would a buttonhole stitch. The difference is, you are keeping the stitches close together to fill in the space.

Continue stitching around....

I'm about halfway... notice that we ignore the 'lines' inside the wheel. Remember these will be covered up with our stitches.

…. almost done!

All done! A red button could be added for the center on the wheel for an added accent.

The next stitch I'm going to show you is a threaded running stitch. It's super easy and a great substitution to a backstitch or outline stitch. I am using a variegated #12 Valdani thread for my stitching, but you can use any embroidery thread of your choice.
To start this stitch, do a running stitch on the printed line.

Then you will use the loops of the running stitch to thread your stitches through.

Here is a great close up of both the stitches that were featured today.

I hope that you enjoyed my little embroidery tutorial today. We're getting close to the lazy days of summer and embroidery is a great take along project for in the car or at the lake. It's so peaceful to sit under an umbrella, in the cool breeze with a large glass full of iced tea stitching a few stitches as I wait for my boys to get back from fishing.

Happy Stitching,
Cindy and Belvedere

3 comments:

  1. I always like buttonhole wheels. They are good for so many things. That was a good way to use the threaded running stitch, too. A pretty panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the second pass of the threaded running stitch, do you bring the needle from the same direction through the original running stitch or do you go from one side to the other? Like up through one stitch and then down through the next or up from the same side on each stitch? sorry if the question is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can actually do it both ways for two different variations. Just be consistent when you are stitching.

      Delete