Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Grandma's Attic January Block!

January's Block
Welcome! There will be a new block design each month for a total of 12....  it will be a traditional sampler quilt. I'm planning it as a stash buster. It's based on two colors, a main color and a white/cream background color. You can choose any color for your main color, blue, red, green, anything....I'm making mine out of red fabrics. I have a lot of red Civil War fabric on hand, so that is what I'm using for mine. So go raid your stash for some fabric. You will need;

4 1/2 yards white/cream
4 yards red
1/2 yard red for binding
5 1/3 yard for backing

The finished size is 67" x 87"

Let's get started on this month's block, it's a spin off of a Greek Square. You will make four blocks and then sew them together to make a large 4 block square. So go to the website and download the directions, grab a cup of coffee or some pop and let's go sew!

To begin with, cut out all of your block pieces following the directions. The PDF pattern can be found on the Quilt Doodle Designs website.

  • Starting with the triangles labeled ‘A’, Sew the ‘light’ and ‘dark’ triangle pieces together. Iron.

  • Pair up ‘B’ rectangles, one of each color to form 4 pairs. With right sides together sew along the long end. Iron. Then following the block layout above, lay out your block pieces and start sewing 'rows' together.



  •  Then sew each row together matching up seams. Iron.

Make four Greek Square blocks total. Then sew the four blocks together to form a four block square.
~ January's Block ~

The monthly FREE pattern is available on my website. I have a special 2020 BOM section on my website. Each month the FREE pattern will be posted. But as soon as the new section or block is out the old block pattern will no longer be a freebie. But it will still be available for a small fee on my website or in my Etsy shop. If you want to share your finished blocks, feel free to post them on Facebook Group (Quilt Doodle Designs Grandmas Attic BOM 2020) and tag me or post them on Instagram tag Quilt Doodle Designs. I love to see everyone's progress as we stitch along together. 


Happy quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere


7 comments:

  1. Thank you Cindy. I really love your BOM's and always look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for offering this BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I hope to play along with this one. I have wanted to make a two color quilt for some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Cindy. I see you are going to be in Perham in April. I'm trying to figure out how to save the bucks to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for another wonderful BOM....(Looks like you have some spam in the comments section.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no, you've been dinged by the Arab cleaning sites! They get everyone eventually, I think. WordPress usually deletes them for me.

    Thanks so much for the block directions. I love red and white!

    ReplyDelete