Thursday, December 5, 2019

Vitual Cookie Blog Hop

I love the holidays and the sweet smell of baking, don't you? Welcome to my day for the Virtual Cookie Exchange hosted by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt. Thank you Carol for hosting and putting this together. About a month ago I kept seeing these embossed rolling pins pop up on my Instagram feed. Well I finally checked it out and found one on Amazon for cheap. So since the price was right I decided to get one for the holidays and make some cookies for my mom, who loves shortbread. My grandma was of German decent so I found a recipe for Springerle Shortbread which is a german embossed cookie. (The recipe is below) I've never made these before so this is a first for me. The dough was super easy to whip together. The hard part is waiting for it to chill in the fridge for at least an hour. I'm not good at waiting!
Here's my pretty rolling pin....

Here's the cookie dough after I embossed it with the reindeer design. The dough does need to be COLD to roll, once it warms up, it sticks to everything.
Then I cut out cute little circles and popped them in the oven to bake.

The cookie design is very delicate and not easy to see but still pretty. I'm so used to boldly frosted sugar cookies. I bet you could 'paint' the design with dyed egg-wash like you do with paintbrush cookies to bring out the design. I didn't have time for that today. 

The recipe made about two dozen, just enough to fill the festive tin I purchased to put them in. This batch was my first attempt. I have a couple other holiday cookie recipes I'm going to try with the rolling pin. If nothing else, it is a really cute item to just put on display in the kitchen over the holidays.  

My all time favorite holiday cookie to make is Peanut Butter Yo-yo's. Super easy to make and so much fun to decorate! I made a huge batch up on Cookie Day. Our annual baking day with my mom, sisters and nieces and nephews. It's such a fun day! All you need to make these yummy cookies is a box of Ritz crackers, peanut butter and almond bark. To begin, you make peanut butter cracker sandwiches, then dip them in almond bark. While the almond bark is still 'wet', decorate! Sooooo easy! I was so lucky to have my sister, Stef and niece, Bailey help me decorate. It was so nice to sit and visit as we had our little cookie factory going. 

We made reindeer, wreaths and snowmen!

We made enough to send everyone home with a tin full!

~ Twinkle Snowman ~
This is a new pattern that is in the Quilt Doodle Etsy shop. PDF patterns are on sale!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

Springerle Shortbread (from cutsidedown.com)

Ingredients

  • 1 c. butter room temperature
  • ½ c. light brown sugar
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 c. flour

Instructions

  • Begin by creaming the butter, sugars, and salt together in a mixer. When it's nice and fluffy, beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Next, fold in the flour.
  • When the dough has come together, divide it in half and shape both halves into round disks before wrapping in plastic and allowing to chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
  • When you're reading to bake, heat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, then set aside.
  • Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out on a floured surface with a regular rolling pin until you have a dough that is about ¼" thick. When you have the desired thickness, slowly roll the embossed pin over the top of the dough to create the design. Then using either a cup, round cookie cutter, or other desired shape, cut out cookies and place them on the lined baking sheets. Repeat until all dough has been used.
  • When you're ready, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they are lightly golden around the edges. Then remove from the pan and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy!
Here's the complete list just in case you missed a day.....

23 comments:

  1. Oh now I want to go buy one of those rolling pins. Those cookies are cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too purchased one of the rollers from a local retailer. I haven't used it but looking forward to giving it a try. Hoping the results are fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea that roller is. Love the delicate look of the baked cookie. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The embossed rolling pins are a great way to "dress up" cookies. And your decorated yo-yos are so cute.
    MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought some of the embossed rolling pins last year. I was really disappointed that they hardly showed up when I rolled them out. I almost want to get my Dremmel tool out and improve on the depth of the cuts in the wood!! Thank you for the recipe for shortbread cookies...one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! Your Springerle Shortbread cookies sound so yummy! I've always wanted to try rolling the design into the cookie -- it is so delicate and pretty! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy! I have never heard of the Peanut Butter Yo-Yos but oh how cute they turned out. This definitely looks like something I will need to add to my repertoire. Especially once my two littles get a bit older. It will be so fun seeing how they decorate them. Thank you for sharing. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shortbread cookies, too. Here's an idea to ward off the waiting for the cookie to chill...mix the dough the night before when you're tired, in the morning it'll be ready for you. The YoYos are adorable and so crafty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rolling pin is beautiful. I may have to purchase my own or, better yet, buy one for my mom and she can make the cookies. hehe I think I can maybe work on the yoyos though. Thank you for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the rolling pin, I might have to get one. I love the subtle design it leaves on the cookies. And the Yo-Yos are super cute.

    Sorry about the deleted post... wrong blogger profile, stupid me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kept seeing the rolling pin too! Your cookies are lovely, and the dipped ones look like fun. Sweet pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen that rolling pin used with cutters and I wanted to try it. Thanks for sharing a recipe to do it with! They look delicious. You make the cutest applique patterns and that snowman is no exception...love it! Thanks for hopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the recipes. Love the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That snowman is a really cute one and your cookies look amazing. You are really good at decorating. They almost look to good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your peanut butter yoyos look fun to make and yummy! They are decorated so adorably!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes with us. I love that rolling pin. Almost bought one the last time I was at Target. Maybe I'll go back and see if they still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your snowman quilt is adorable! The snowmen are so cute and festive! Thank you for the cookie recipe. I purchased one of the embossed rolling pins but haven't tried using it yet. Thank you for the photos of what to expect. No matter the design, I bet the cookie is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Scrappy Hats quilt, wish I'd have known about the quilt along. Your cookies look so good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cookies look great with the special rolling pin. Now I want one of those!! LOL Your snowman quilt is really cute! And those dipped peanut butter crackers sound great as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the delicate look of those embossed cookies. I think my son-in-law would like those Ritz cookies. I may have to try them as he is coming for Christmas. Love the snowman hanging the star on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those peanut butter sandwich cookies are some of the cutest cookies I've seen! Thanks for sharing the technique.

    ReplyDelete