Thursday, February 14, 2019

Bundle Up Llama


Oh my gosh... it's still snowing here in Minnesota..... again. It has snowed more in the last two weeks then it has all winter. I'm pretty sure it's at least a foot of snow out there now after all the storms we've had lately. Belvedere has learned how to frolic like a reindeer to get around in the deep snow with his stubby little legs! It's pretty cute to watch... I've pretty much have turned into a hermit and have stayed indoors. I have managed to do a little sewing. Bundle Up Llama is my new design, a wintery design of a llama wearing an adorable ski hat and scarf. It's still winter here in Minnesota! My niece, Cassi, loves llama's.

I get a lot of questions about layering for applique. So I thought I would show you the layering process for this particular design. Sorta step you thru it... I think it would help for you for not only this design but it would help you look at my other designs differently when it comes to layering.
The first step for any of my designs is to trace the design shapes onto your heat n bond, or whatever fusible web you are using. Iron it onto the back side of your fabric scraps and then cut the shapes out. You can see I have all of my llama pieces ready for layering.


Looking at the photo of the finished design, I can see that the hat sits behind the ears and the pink ear pieces would go on top of the white ear area of the face. I peel away the paper off the heat n bond as I go, but I do not fuse anything in place until the very end.

I then look at the llama and notice that the hair sticks out of the brim of the hat. So I put the hair in place next.

….and then I put the hat brim and pom-pom in place!

The final part of the design is the llama's scarf and neck. Looking at the picture I see that the scarf is tucked under the llama's face and that the scarf is overtop the neck area. When I get my design over to the ironing board, I fuss and fidget things into the correct position and then press everything in place.

I used my usual small blanket stitch/button hole stitch on my machine. I used white thread for around the llama's face, ears and body.

I used a grey thread this time to stitch around everything else. I like the softer look it gives the design. It's a nice change over the darker thread I usually use.

Now it's time to embroider the llama's features. I'm going to use some teenie tiny buttons for the eyes, but a couple of French knots would look just as nice.

Using a backstitch, stitch the llama's mouth and nose. I am using a Valdani #12 pearl cotton.


I just love how this sweet llama turned out. A great winter applique design. A fun way to use up some of your wintery scraps. I put my llama on a cream tea towel from Dunroven House. This design would be adorable on a baby blanket, sweatshirt, made into a pillow, whatever you heart dreams up. Let's have some sewing fun and enjoy winter a little longer. I can't do anything about the snow still falling outside, but I can still stitch up some wintery fun inside.

Happy quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

You can find the PDF pattern HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Sew cute. Thanks for the tut... hope your snow accumulation has stopped for the year

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL that is stinkin' adorable! I love your stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to layer the fabric and fuse it together all in one go! We have had almost a full year's precipitation just in the month of February. Just this week the ski resorts have received up to 6 feet of snow with another 3 feet predicted for this weekend. Here in the valley we have had rain and/or snow all month long...I don't think we've had a single dry day! I'm looking forward to spring!!

    ReplyDelete