Friday, October 19, 2018

Some Spooky Stitchery


I do love doing embroidery although I'm not great at it, it is something I love to do in front of the TV or while in the car traveling. So I thought I would revisit one of my older patterns for Halloween and show it to you. It's a sweet haunted house surrounded by a spooky border of 'Boo!' and candy corn. Imagine the little ghouls and goblins that go trick or treating here! 

After I got the center embroidered  I decided to make a no-waste flying geese border all the way around it.... so here's how I did it.... it's not a new technique, and I certainly can't take credit for it.  But it sure made making tiny flying geese blocks easy and accurate to do! I used 3 fat quarters from Thimbleberries to do my block. Which I found in my 'stash', I bet you have some Halloween fabric you could use too!
I began by cutting 32  ~  1  7/8" black squares and 8 ~ 3  1/4" orange squares

Lay two black squares on one orange square right sides together and draw a diagonal line from corner to corner, you will sew a 1/4" scant seam on each side of the diagonal line.  (I have the diagonal marked here)

Sewing on the lines....

Then cut apart....

Iron... to the dark side....

Then lay a black square on your triangle section, again mark 1/4" seam on each side of the diagonal.

I have a stack of them to do to make a border!

Sew on the 1/4" seam line....

Cut apart....

iron... iron to the dark side....this will make 1" x 2" flying geese (1  1/2" x 2  1/2")

Then I trim my embroidery piece down ….

8 flying geese blocks will form the border on each side....

I fussy cut the corner blocks for the border.


Border is all pieced and the block is now ready to quilt.
All quilted
Sewing on the binding....
It's time to welcome the Trick or Treaters!!
 I hope that you enjoy my little tutorial on how to make flying geese. It's a great technique and one that can be used for a variety of projects that call for flying geese.

Happy Halloween!
Cindy and Belvedere

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, it's a great stitchery, and I love the addition of the flying geese around it! I'm surprised you didn't save that for Tuesday. =)

    ReplyDelete