Saturday, October 13, 2018

Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL - October

It's the very last section to the quilt.  Well a winter themed quilt needs a string of lights. We have our lights up on our house all winter long. Every year I think it would be a good idea and string the lights outside before the snow falls. I really think the ideal time would be right before Thanksgiving but after Halloween. But my hubby always wants to wait until after Thanksgiving. We've been out in the snow hanging lights and they stay up until spring. Mainly because they are frozen in place or buried in snow until the weather warms up again. I hope that you have fun with this month's section. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's 'String of of Lights'. Remember to post your finished pictures to Instagram and tag me @quiltdoodledesigns and use the hashtag quiltdoodledesignsqal

  Again, everything is based on 2 1/2" squares, you will want to try to match this block with how you did the other blocks in this section so that it all goes together. Let me show you how I completed this month's block. It goes together pretty quickly and can be done in a weekend.

Some of what I have left from my fabrics for this project.
I picked out colors that work well as Christmas bulbs.
All of my 2 1/2" squares are all ready to start sewing.
For the triangle squares I have paired up the background
blue fabric with my brightly colored fabric for the bulbs.
I lined them all up on my 3" quilt ruler. Now watch this
nifty trick....
I can lift all of my squares to my sewing machine
with ONE hand!
I found a new use for my favorite quilt ruler....
Maybe you will find this to be a handy tip too!
Here is part of the strip all ready to be sewn together. I made the red and yellow
blocks first, then I finished the green and orange blocks, (Following the pattern)
Iron on the top of the bulb lining up the edges.
(The corners of the bulb cap lines up with the
seams of the bulb.)

String of Lights, the final section for the quilt. It's now time to piece all of the sections together.

October's layout....
 If you blog about it, please email me a link so that I can attach it to the Pinterest Board I have going for the Minnesota Winter Wonderland. I hope you have fun with this section of the mystery quilt. It can easily be done in a weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's lights! It's now time to sew your sections together! Let's share our quilts! If you would like to show everyone your quilt you can post them to Instagram... or email me a picture and I will post them on the blog. I love to see how everyone's quilts turned out! Next month I'll talk about putting on borders and finishing up your quilts. See you November 10th.


Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere


5 comments:

  1. I like how easy these can go together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the pattern? I would love all the patterns but I love the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where or how can I find the whole pattern for the Minnesota quilt ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pattern. Is it a free sew along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have looked all over the site and links and cannot find any to the patterns for this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete