Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Mama Hen and Chicks


 It's the time of year that little chicks start to show up at the farm supply stores. They are adorable bundles of fluff. When the kids were young their auntie brought some of her baby chicks and ducks to an Easter celebration for the little ones to see. The kids were so excited to hold the baby chicks, such a sweet memory. Let me introduce you to a new applique design featuring a mama hen and her chicks. It's a great size for a tea towel but can be used in a variety of ways. It would make a cute bench pillow or table runner too! Let me show you how I stitched it together.

I went thru my fabrics and found some perfect colors for my hen and chicks. I traced the pieces onto the paper side of my fusible web for applique. I like to use Flexifuse because it doesn't gum up my needle on my machine. I then cut out the shapes and pair them with the fabrics.

I then will iron, press the shapes onto the back of the fabric.

Then cut all the shapes out and lay them onto your project following the placement sheet or pattern photo. I'm putting the hen and chicks on a tea towel for in my kitchen.

Press the design in place following the manufacturer's directions.

Using my sewing machine, I applique around the edge using a dark brown thread.

The final touch is to embroider eyes onto the Mama Hen and Chicks. I'm using a double strand of pearl cotton.


~ Mama Hen and Chicks ~

This pattern can be found in my Etsy Shop and also on the Website as a PDF download. It's a fun design for all year round. I bet you even have fabric scraps that would work for this sweet design. I was also thinking, you could make these birds bright and colorful too! Let your imagination go and have some fun! I made mine golden to look like a Buff Orpington, but you can switch up the colors to look like your favorite mama chicken. 

Have a wonderful day!
Cindy & Josephine

No comments:

Post a Comment