Thursday, April 14, 2022

Easter Gnome

Easter weekend is just around the corner.  I'll be making some Easter sugar cookies and dying some eggs later on today. It'll be a busy weekend visiting family and friends in celebration. I'm hoping for some glorious spring days ahead. It's so nice to get up and hear the birds singing again. Josephine makes sure that I'm up and moving so she can make her morning trip outside!  If you are looking for a quick easy hostess gift, I have this adorable Easter gnome! Isn't it sweet? I love the light colors and whimsical design. The pattern is written up for a mug rug but can easily adorn a tea towel too. It's quick and easy and a great design for a beginner to applique. It has some nice easy shapes.

I traced two sets of everything onto the paper side of the fusible web. (I'm going to make two Easter gnomes.) I then ironed the fusible web to the backside of my fabric.


I then cut all the shapes out using my applique scissors.

Following the design placement page, peel off the paper and arrange the pieces onto the 8 1/2" x 10" background fabric and then iron in place. You can see some of the designs overlap to create the gnome.
I then layer the backing, batting and mug rug top together to make a mini quilt sandwich. This way, my applique stitching will also serve as quilting all at the same time. I am also using white thread to go around all of the raw edges. After I'm done stitching the buttonhole stitch around everything I do a little more quilting on the background.


A floral binding is a nice finish to my Easter Gnome mug rug.


I couldn't stop at making one, I also ironed an Easter Gnome onto a tea towel for in my kitchen.
I lined the bottom edge of the gnome's beard with the bottom edge of the tea towel.
I love it! I draped it over the door to one of my cabinets. 

It's a fun mug rug to stitch up, I bet you even have fabric in your stash that you could use!


~ Easter Gnome ~

This sweet gnome can be found in the Etsy Shop and also in the Quilt Doodle Website as a PDF instant download. I hope that you enjoy the design and find a chance to do some stitching. 

Wishing you a happy spring! My chives are starting to peek up, I'm thinking of clipping some for an omelet for lunch. 

Happy quilting!
Cindy and Josephine

1 comment: