Tuesday, February 1, 2022

February's Block!

January sure flew by! It has been cold and snowy here in Minnesota. Our younger son who lives at home tested positive for Covid a few weeks ago but had no symptoms, so we spent a couple weeks hanging out in our own corners of the house. I sprayed everything down with Lysol, don't know if it really helped but it made me feel better. If it wasn't below zero, I would have had the windows open too! After my younger son got done with his quarantine, my older son and I want her to be my DIL, both came down with Covid for a second time. They are still in quarantine. Luckily their cases seem to be mild. I made a homemade soup run to their home a few days ago. Waved at them thru the windows. 

 I'm so grateful to have my sewing space. Stitching away has been a great comfort to me as I'm sure it has for many of you too! I've gotten quite a few projects done over the last few days. I've been able to cross a few things off the to do list. That's always a good feeling!

As you know, this year's Block of the Month will feature some of my favorite feathered friends. It's a secret as to what feathered friends will be featured. This quilt is done with a fusible applique method. Most of my designs are done this way. I hope that you enjoy the process as we work on this quilt together over the next year. This month's block features a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. I have seen these sweet birds on my bird feeders from time to time. I had to pull out my bird book that my dad gave to me years ago to identify them the first time I saw one on the bird feeder. They have a very distinctive beak. This month's block features this sweet bird next to a birdhouse along with some purple coneflowers. So let me show you how I have made this month's block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....

You will do the applique design on your background rectangle. I have precut 12 - 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" rectangles for this year's BOM quilt.

Print up the directions and trace all of the applique shapes onto the paper side of your fusible web. I cheated this month and ran my fusible interfacing thru my computer and printed up the shapes that way. A big-time saver!

Go thru your fabric stash and pick out your colors for your applique.

Cut apart the applique pieces that you have traced and group the pieces with the different color fabrics. Remember you will be ironing the pieces onto the wrong side of your fabric.

My pieces are all ironed onto my fabric, now I need to cut everything out using my sharp applique scissors.

Following the pattern placement sheet, I peel off the paper backing on my fabric shapes and place them onto the cream background rectangle. Press the applique into place.

I used a dark brown thread to applique around all of the edges using a buttonhole stitch.

~Rose-Breasted Grosbeak~


Isn't it a fun design? I love it! This would be a cute design on a tea towel too! 

Each month will feature an applique design, I have a stash of basic colors that I use for applique, I bet you do too! You will also need a basic cream or white for the applique blocks. You will need 1 3/4 yards of a cream/white background fabric. It can be a tone on tone or neutral print. This cream fabric will also be used for the top and bottom boarders along with some pieced cornerstones. You can also get scrappy with your cream fabrics! The applique blocks will measure 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (this includes the seam allowance).

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

 There's also a Facebook Groupplease join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! I will be ending this year's BOM with some giveaways. Make sure to stayed tuned for that!

Hope that you stop by tomorrow for the first block.  Remember the block will only be FREE for the month of February, after that it will be available for $2.50. All patterns are a PDF download. I suggest getting a file folder and printing up the patterns each month and stashing them in the folder. Especially if you aren't planning on working on it right away. That way you won't miss a thing!

Please help spread the word about the NEW Quilt Doodle BOM! Come and join the fun! Remember to post those pictures! I love to see your progress and it's fun to see everyone's blocks! 

I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching!

Happy quilting,
Cindy 


No comments:

Post a Comment