Saturday, January 1, 2022

January's Block 2022!


 Happy New Year!

Hubby and I spent the evening playing cribbage waiting for the fireworks to start on Buck Hill. Poor miss Maddie (our son's lab-rottie, or rotten lab) hates fireworks and spent the evening ringing in the new year running from window to window. She's pooped out this morning and is sleeping in.

 I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season. We did, with a few glitches.... the furnace went out on Christmas.... a new one was installed the next day. We are very happy we have two fireplaces that were able to keep our home warm on Christmas! The garage door opener broke a couple days before and my stove decided to crap out just a couple days after. At least it got me thru cooking the huge traditional ham dinner feast on Christmas. The new year is beginning with a few new upgrades in the Staub home... let's hope the rest of the year goes smoothly! 

This year's Block of the Month will feature some of my favorite feathered friends. It's a secret as to what feathered friends will be featured. This quilt is done with a fusible applique method. Most of my designs are done this way. I hope that you enjoy the process as we work on this quilt together over the next year. This month's block features a Junco. My dad used to also call them snowbirds. These sweet little birds usually show up on my bird feeders right before a snowstorm. I always think of dad when I see them. Although I took some liberty and have drawn the birds on a watering can with some flowers... no snow. So let me show you how I have made this month's block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....

Trace the design shapes on to the paper side of your fusible web.

Cut the shapes out based on 'color'... I group same colors together when I trace a design out. Then match the shapes with your fabric that you are using for the design. Following the manufacturer's directions, iron the fusible web onto the back side of your fabric.

From your background fabric, cut an 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" rectangle. If you want, you can cut all twelve that you need for the quilt top at the same time and set them aside. I find it helpful to store all my fabric for a quilt together in a project bin. You might want to start a project bin for this. 

Then using my OLFA applique scissors, I cut all of the shapes out for the Junco design.

Following the pattern placement page, center your design on your rectangle. Remember to peel off the paper for the design. Following the manufacturer's directions, iron everything in place. I used a dark brown/black thread to stitch around all of the raw edges. I used a small buttonhole stitch. Feel free to practice and try out a couple of different stitch sizes before you stitch on your actual block. Remember to go slow and always pivot with your needle down.

~ Junco ~

Isn't it a fun design? I love it! This would be a cute design on a tea towel too! 

Each month will feature an applique design, I have a stash of basic colors that I use for applique, I bet you do too! You will also need a basic cream or white for the applique blocks. You will need 1 3/4 yards of a cream/white background fabric. It can be a tone on tone or neutral print. This cream fabric will also be used for the top and bottom boarders along with some pieced cornerstones. You can also get scrappy with your cream fabrics! The applique blocks will measure 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (this includes the seam allowance).

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

 There's also a Facebook Groupplease join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! I will be ending this year's BOM with some giveaways. Make sure to stayed tuned for that!

Hope that you stop by tomorrow for the first block.  Remember the block will only be FREE for the month of January, after that it will be available for $2.50. All patterns are a PDF download. I suggest getting a file folder and printing up the patterns each month and stashing them in the folder. Especially if you aren't planning on working on it right away. That way you won't miss a thing!

Please help spread the word about the NEW Quilt Doodle BOM! Come and join the fun! Remember to post those pictures! I love to see your progress and it's fun to see everyone's blocks!

Happy quilting,
Cindy 


No comments:

Post a Comment