Saturday, April 17, 2021

Embroidery 101

As many as you know, I have a couple of panels available thru Marcus Fabrics. They are fun to work with and embellish. So I thought I would talk about embroidery over the next couple days. Growing up, one of the first needlework projects mom started me on was embroidery. I remember mom had a small 'how to' book she let me use that listed a bunch of embroidery stitches. I remember working on a kit that had flowers that was done all in crewel work. Many different stitches using a lightweight wool yarn to stitch with and a big needle. 

I have a new panel available in Quilt Shops now! It's called Bundle Up. The Bundle Up BOM is available thru participating quilt shops. If you google it you will find shops selling it as a packaged kit.


I like to use pearl cotton from Valdani. I typically use #12 or #8 thread. You can also embroider using 3 strands of DMC floss. I like to use a small needle to embroider with. I feel like needles are a personal preference. I also recommend a needle threader and an Ott Lite (or other good lighting) I'm of an age that I'm blind as a bat as soon as the sun goes down so I love my Ott Lite. You will also need an embroidery hoop. I have hoops in various sizes. Again, using a hoop or not using a hoop is a personal preference. I have also been known to not use a hoop while stitching. When I work with my panels, I line the panel with an iron on interfacing on the back side. I then stitch along the edges using my sewing machine to hold the interfacing in place.


 My three favorite stitches are the French Knot, Backstitch and Lazy Daisy. These were also the first stitches I learned when I was a little girl. Let me show you how I used these stitches on my Bundle Up Panel.

I used french knots on the tips of the snowflakes. I wrap the thread around my needle 3 times.  For a smaller knot you can wrap the thread 1-2 times and for a larger knot you can wrap the thread 5-6 times. Another way to get a larger knot, if you want a bolder look is to double your thread.


I'm in love with this sweet little bunny... the bunny block is all done in a backstitch.... I like to use variegated thread while I'm stitching. It adds extra interest and depth.



Instead of using a backstitch, I stitched a single lazy daisy to give my snowflakes a lacy look. The snowflake picture I used for the French Knot picture also features some lazy daisy stitching.

As you can see, you don't need to learn a ton of stitches to be able to embroider one of my fabric panels. I love to embroider in front of the TV watching the Hallmark Channel. It's a relaxing way to spend an afternoon when you need a break. I'll be posting more stitch ideas over the next few days. The Bundle Up panel featuring the Lost and Found Snowman can be found on my Website and Etsy Store. I also have the Blue Ribbon Panel and Woodland Getaway panels available on my Website and in my Etsy Store. I also have Valdani Pearl Cotton and thread kits available.

Happy quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the beautiful panels! I will have to look for them next time I'm in a quilt shop. Those are good directions for the stitches, too.

    ReplyDelete