Thursday, March 25, 2021

Begonia Bunny


 Spring is in the air, my seedlings have started to grow and I can't wait to get into the garden. Since it's too early to go digging in the garden, I can dream of spring in my sewing room. So I drew up this sweet little bunny named Begonia. She loves flowers and is wearing a sweet wreath of freshly picked flowers. She's also wearing a pretty pink bow for Easter. I also love her little heart nose and her chubby little cheeks. 

This is a fun little mini quilt that can be used as a mug rug or candle mat. It's a great little accent piece to adorn a springtime display on a mantle or table. I currently have mine sitting by my computer to remind me that spring really is just around the corner. Let me show you how I put this fun little design together. I bet you even have fabric in your stash that you could use!

To begin, print up the PDF pattern. It can be found in my Etsy Shop and also on the Quilt Doodle website. Trace all of the Begonia Bunny shapes onto the paper side of your fusible web.


Iron the shapes onto the backside of the fabrics you have chosen for the design. I used soft spring colors, you can make yours bright and bold if you would like.

Cut all of the shapes out.

Following the layout sheet in the pattern, peel the paper backing off your shapes and lay the design out onto your 8" x 10 1/2" background rectangle. Notice some of the pieces will overlap in areas. Press in place. Then layer the backing, batting and applique front. Pin.

Using a buttonhole stitch on your machine, and white thread, stitch around all of the raw edges of the bunny design. Go slow and always stop with the needle down to pivot around corners.

I didn't want to take the time to hand backstitch my bunny whiskers. I found a backstitch on my machine. Using dark brown thread I stitched the whiskers on the bunny as shown on the design layout page of the pattern. I practiced on a piece of scrap material first.

I then stitched on the eyes, using a #12 Valdani pearl cotton. You can also use three strands of DMC thread too. Really any embroidery thread of your choosing. I used a dark green that matched the leaves in the design. Then bind your mini quilt.

~Begonia Bunny~

Begonia Bunny would also be cute on a tea towel, placemat or even on a soft fabric basket or bin. If time allows I want to make a fabric bin and put this sweet bunny on the side of it. I think it would be adorable filled with plastic eggs.

I hope you have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching.

Cindy and Belvedere

2 comments: