Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Ugly Christmas Sweaters

I can't believe that it's Thanksgiving next week and the Christmas season is right around the corner! One of my favorite patterns is my Ugly Christmas Sweater Mug Rugs. These are perfect to use up your left over holiday scraps that you may have lying around in your sewing room. Fat quarters work well for this pattern too!  I'm thinking I want to make some more to have on hand. They are addicting to make and quick!  They make quick gifts and are adorable paired up with a mug and some chocolate. My Ugly Sweater Mug Rug pattern is available as an instant downloadable PDF or as a packaged pattern. They can be found in my Etsy Store.

 My pattern can also be found in several local quilt shops. If it's not in your local shop, ask for it!
Pin your sweater body right sides together onto your batting. I like to use batting scraps for these types of projects.

Sew a 1/4" seam....

Remember to leave an opening so you can turn it right side out.


Don't forget to clip corners before you turn your sweater shape right sides out.

The super fun part is decorating your sweaters. Trace all your design pieces onto your heat n bond, iron onto the wrong side of the fabric scraps and cut out.

A Christmas Ornament ugly sweater. Isn't it cute and it's not even done yet!

I got one of each design put together. I'm now ready to do my applique stitch.

I used a dark brown thread from Aurifil. I use the same color thread for all of my mug rugs just for ease of getting them all done quickly without changing thread colors. What's great about this step is that you are appliqueing and quilting your mug rugs all at the same time. So easy!

After all my mug rugs are appliqued, it's time to camp out in front of the TV for some hand work. As you can see, I have lots of threads to clip. I've put together a button pack for you thru Just Another Button Company with all the embellishments for the mug rugs. The pack contains enough buttons to do one of each design plus some extras... I added some snowflake buttons too. This slick button kit is also available in my Etsy Store.

Shhhh, this one's my favorite... 





Another super fun thing you can do with these is make a bunch and sting them together to make a garland! I just used some red and white baker's twine and some decorative clothespins.

We will all be missing those fun holiday get togethers this year with the Covid restrictions. Let's remember our friends and surprise them with an ugly Christmas Sweater mug rug and some chocolate!

Happy quilting!
Cindy




2 comments:

  1. I still don't know why they call them Ugly, as those are stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try again, I don't see a single ugly sweater in the bunch!

    ReplyDelete