Saturday, May 30, 2020

Embroidery 101-4

I hope that you are having fun experimenting with different embroidery stitches. Today I’m going to show you a couple of stitch techniques that can be used to color in large spaces with stitches. It’s a great way to add texture and detail to your panel. Today I am working on my Woodland getaway panel from Marcus Fabrics.
I will be stitching on the tent and camper sections of the panel. If you are doing the Woodland Getaway BOM then these are extra pieces that you can have fun and experiment with. I will being showing you how I use a ‘long-short’ stitch and a diagonal filling stitch. So grab a comfy chair, pop in a favorite movie and let’s get stitching.....
I am using the long short stitch to fill in the main body of the tent. I am using a variegated #12  Valdani pearl cotton. I also used the same thread for a satin stitch that I did for the flaps of the tent. I used a tweed #12 thread for the ‘inside’ of the tent.
I love the texture this stitch added to the tent design. My tent reminds me of camping with my younger son when he was in Boy Scouts. I am not a good camper and didn’t sleep a wink in our canvas tent. I need hard sides and a door that closes to be a good camper.... 


Now I can certainly camp in this adorable camper.
To embroider the curtains of my camper I am using a variation of the diagonal filling stitch. Instead of working on the diagonal, I am stitching straight on with the design. I start by stitching lines evenly spaced horizontally in the design.
I then stitch lines vertically on the design. Once all of my lines are done I then secure where the lines intersect with a little seed stitch.


I stitch  up and down the rows.

Here the section is completed. To finish the curtain off, I added a back stitch along the bottom of the curtain.
I hope that you try out the long-short stitch and the diagonal fill in stitch. I have Valdani thread kits for the Woodland Getaway panel available in my Etsy Shop and also on the website along with the Woodland Getaway panel. My next posting will be for the next installment of the Grandma’s Attic BOM and then I’ll post some more panel fun. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and find some time to relax and do some stitching.

Happy stitching,
Cindy & Belvedere




3 comments:

  1. What stitch are you using for the horizontal and vertical rows on the curtain? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m using a variation of the diagonal filling stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second stitch is one I have never known where to use, but seeing what you did here helps. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete