Saturday, August 11, 2018

Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL-August

Do you have a 'Sweet Tooth', I know I sure do! Every Christmas I make several batches of homemade caramel. Love caramel, so yummy. My nieces and nephews help me wrap  the caramel, they enjoy the samples while they wrap away. This month's strip is a row of wrapped candy. So what kind of candy will you have? Caramel, homemade taffy, butterscotch buttons or cinnamon red hot disks? Have fun with this month's section.

You can make all the candies with the same fabric, or mix it up and make each wrapper a different color. For my candies I used a red strip since I wrap my caramels in pretty wax paper for the holidays. I have also decided to make the background scrappy using two blue fabrics of the same hue.

 
The fabrics I have chosen to do my 'Sweet Tooth' strip with...
Using a pen or pencil, draw a line from corner to corner.
 Pair with a blue background square,
right sides together, sew a scant
1/4" seam on each side of the line.
With your rotary cut, cut from corner to corner,
 then cut from corner to corner again.
 
From one block your will get 8 triangle sections.
From these eight sections,  sew together 4 hour glass blocks.
Square them up to measure 2 1/2" square.  I had to pay attention
to the stripes in my fabric when piecing together my hour glass blocks.
I laid my blocks out alternating the direction of my stripe
on my 'candy' blocks (hour glass blocks)
 
Following the strip layout it's time to piece your strip together. 
'Sweet Tooth'
August's section

If you blog about it, please email me a link so that I can attach it to the Pinterest Board I have going for the Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL. Remember you can post your pictures to Instagram and tag me @quiltdoodledesigns and also use the hashtag quiltdoodledesignsQAL

I'm off to get ready for quilt retreat! Can't wait to spend some time with my mom and sister and do some quilting. It'll be fun to see all my retreat quilt buddies.

Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

No comments:

Post a Comment