Saturday, July 14, 2018

Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL - July

Cocoa, coffee, cappuccino, cookies and cake.... all good things start with the letter 'C'.  This month's block celebrates winter and our wintertime drinks. I love to sit in my favorite comfy chair, by the  fireplace with a nice hot cup of coffee, (or hot chocolate) on those cold, snowy Minnesota nights. A good book or a project to work on is an added bonus! This month's block is called 'Toasty Mugs'. It's a bigger section of the quilt. 

You can make all the mugs with the same fabric, or mix it up and make each mug a different color. My mugs are all red but I used different fabrics for each one. In November, instead of a block, I will be giving you some embellishment ideas to sew, add or applique onto your quilt. So keep that in mind as you work on your mugs. I have also given you two 'steam' designs, you can choose to use one or both. It's up to you. I have used both. I have also decided to make the background scrappy using several blue fabrics of the same hue. I must confess, when I first started this, I bought two different blues thinking I would use a light and dark. I have decided for mine, to use only dark snowy fabrics. Well, here's the dilemma.... I don't have enough.... so I scramble to stretch what I have originally bought with fabrics from my stash. The up side, I love the results I have so far.

Haven't joined in on the quilty fun we are having yet! You can still sew along with us and catch up in between. The complete pattern for Minnesota Winter Wonderland can be found
I have my pattern and my fabric chosen.
I have decided to make my block scrappy using fabric that
I have set aside for this quilt from my stash.
Sewing corner to corner to form my triangle blocks... 
Following the block layout for Toasty Mugs
I have one of the blocks laid out all ready to sew...
Sewing the block together using 1/4" seam. 
Tracing the steam for the mugs... 
Cutting out the mug handles...
Using dark brown thread I machine applique a buttonhole stitch
along the edge of the steam.

Toasty Mugs
July's section
Quilt layout so far!
 If you blog about it, please email me a link so that I can attach it to the Pinterest Board I have going for the Minnesota Winter Wonderland QAL. I hope you have fun with this section of the  quilt. It can easily be done in a weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's mugs! As you can see with the quilt layout that the quilt is coming along nicely. I will be working on the next section of the quilt on August 11th. I hope that you can join me.

Happy Quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

No comments:

Post a Comment