Friday, April 1, 2022

Aprils Block ~ Baltimore Oriole

It's April! Spring is around the corner, I'm sure of it! Or so I hope, we did have sleet and snow over the last couple of days and our driveway is a skating rink! I can only hope for warmer weather soon! I'm ready to break out the capri pants and flip flops, LOL!

This month's block is a special one, a Baltimore Oriole. My dad loved to see them visit, he always had grape jelly set out for them. My sister gets her Oriole's about two weeks before I see mine. I know when I get a text that she's got Orioles, I'd better get my feeder out with fresh oranges and grape jelly! I don't want to miss the scouts. I love when they visit. They remind me of my dad and how much he loved feeding the birds.

 This month's block features this sweet bird perched on a pitcher filled with oranges and orange blossoms.  So let me show you how I have made this month's block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....

Gather your fabrics for the oriole design...

Go to the website and print up the pattern...

Trace the design pieces onto the paper side of your fusible web, I like to use a pencil.

Following the directions on the fusible web, iron shapes onto the back side of your fabric.

Cut the shapes out.


Following the design placement sheet, peel the paper off the back of the fabric shapes and position them in place. Notice some shapes overlap others. Iron in place following the manufacturers directions.

Using a buttonhole stitch on your sewing machine, stitch around the raw edges. I used a white thread to stitch around the flowers. I know they are small, just go slow and remember to pivot with the needle down.  I used a dark brown to go around everything else.

~ Baltimore Oriole ~


Isn't it a fun design? I love it! This would be a cute design on a tea towel too! 

Each month will feature an applique design, I have a stash of basic colors that I use for applique, I bet you do too! You will also need a basic cream or white for the applique blocks. You will need 1 3/4 yards of a cream/white background fabric. It can be a tone on tone or neutral print. This cream fabric will also be used for the top and bottom boarders along with some pieced cornerstones. You can also get scrappy with your cream fabrics! The applique blocks will measure 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (this includes the seam allowance).

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the pattern

 There's also a Facebook Groupplease join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! I will be ending this year's BOM with some giveaways. Make sure to stayed tuned for that!



I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine


2 comments:

  1. This collection of birds is absolutely the cutest! We still have a little snow on the porch from yesterday's last fling and I am so looking forward to the birds coming back! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy, for another cute pattern. I love this one too.
    Although we haven't had any snow or ice, we do have LOTS of wind. Do you can't get much done outside. The wind makes it too chilly for me. I am waiting for warmer days.

    ReplyDelete