Friday, May 5, 2023

The Kings Coronation


 I'm excited to watch the Kings Coronation this weekend! So, I thought it would be fun to have a couple of applique projects to celebrate the occasion! The first fun project is my favorite. It features a sweet Corgi wearing the crown for Charles’ Coronation. The PDF pattern can be found on the Quilt Doodle website and also the Etsy shop. I bet you even have fabric in your stash to make one in celebration of the king’s coronation. I have recently been gifted a bag of rick rack of different colors and sizes. At first, I wasn’t going to use any rick rack for the design but while working on it, I decided to use some. It’s not required for the design. Coronation Corgi is just as adorable without it. It’s a fun way to commemorate the king’s day. 

I’ve gathered these colors to complete the project.

Download and print up the pattern. On the paper side of your fusible web, ( heat n bond or flexifuse) trace out all of the shapes for the design.

Following the manufacturers directions, iron the shapes onto the wrong side of the fabric. Cut all the shapes out.

Peel the paper off the appliqué shapes and following the placement sheet, arrange the shapes to form the corgi design. Iron in place. Then layer with batting and backing.

Using a buttonhole stitch sew around all of the raw edges. Remember to go slow and pivot around corners and curves. I used white and dark brown thread on the design.
I used a tiny Rick rack to finish off the bunting using a straight stitch and matching thread. You can also  use embroidery to finish the bunting design.


Trim and square up your mug rug and bind as desired. I decided to sew my binding onto the backside and then fold it over to the front mitering the corners. I inserted a wider red rick rack as I topstitched the binding in place. This makes a cute decorative binding edge on the mug rug. Adding the rick rack is totally optional.

~ coronation corgi ~

I have my alarm set to get up early to watch this once in a lifetime event! I plan on making a pot of English Black Tea to wake myself up to watch. I know my neighbor, who is from England will be flying her flag proudly and have the bunting up to celebrate. I just love that! I will be proudly displaying my mug rugs to prop my proper tea on.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Cindy & Josephine

No comments:

Post a Comment