Friday, September 30, 2022

October's Block ~ American Crow

Oh my gosh, it's October! The leaves are turning, and our mornings are crisp. I've been pulling out the fall and Halloween decorations and decking the house out for the season. I enjoyed a visit to a farmers' market with a dear friend and picked up a bunch of pumpkins for my entryway display. I'm thinking a few more pumpkins are needed! I'm also planning on sorting and purging a bunch of old decorations that I no longer use. I'm hoping that it will free up some room in our storage area. I have more Halloween decorations than Christmas! Hopefully I won't get distracted by what I find! October is expected to be a busy month, our first grandbaby is due anytime and we are over the moon excited! We are staying close to home waiting for the phone call... on to this month's block. It features two American Crows perched in the pumpkin patch. It's a quick and easy applique for this month.

 So let me show you how I have made this month's block. Go on over to the Website and download the PDF pattern. The links are below towards the end of the posting. Make sure that your email is correct so that the link for the pattern is sent to you. Also, if you don't find it, check your trash or spam folder just in case it ended up in there....


Trace the applique shapes onto the paper side of your fusible web. I use Flexifuse. I then group the shapes using the same color with the fabric.

Group the shapes with the fabric colors. Following the manufacturer directions, I then iron the fusible web onto the backside of my fabric
Then cut all the shapes out...


Following the pattern placement sheet, position all the applique shapes on the cream background rectangle. Notice how some of the shapes overlap. 
Iron everything in place.


Your block is now all ready to be appliqued. I used dark brown thread and an applique buttonhole stitch to stitch around everything. I used an outline stitch on my machine to stitch the crow's feet and veins in the leaves. Machine stitching is a big-time saver for me.

~American Crow ~


Isn't it a fun design? I love it! This would be a cute design on a tea towel too! 

Each month will feature an applique design, I have a stash of basic colors that I use for applique, I bet you do too! You will also need a basic cream or white for the applique blocks. You will need 1 3/4 yards of a cream/white background fabric. It can be a tone on tone or neutral print. This cream fabric will also be used for the top and bottom boarders along with some pieced cornerstones. You can also get scrappy with your cream fabrics! The applique blocks will measure 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (this includes the seam allowance).

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. The finished size of the quilt is 58" x 65" Each month's pattern is a free PDF instant download. If you miss a month, the patterns are available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  

If you don't have a printer, you can purchase a PRINTED copy of the pattern

 There's also a Facebook Group, please join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! Make sure to post your blocks so far! I will be ending this year's BOM with some giveaways. Make sure to stayed tuned for that!

I hope that you all have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching! I'm off to my sewing room to quilt of a Halloween quilt that I'm working on.  

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Josephine


3 comments:

  1. I love this autumn block! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I love crows and pumpkins too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one! All of your designs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete