Monday, November 1, 2021

Woodland Chickadee November's Block

 


This month's block is a sweet block is a sweet chickadee. It has been another hectic couple of weeks, some of which was my own making. I got to enjoy back to back quilt retreats with all my favorite people. During all of this, Belvedere has been feeling under the weather. Those of you who know me, know Belvedere is my beloved basset hound. I ran him to the vet before the first retreat and had the lab confirm what's wrong with him during the second retreat. Belvedere has been diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma. It's a grim diagnosis for any pet, we are all very sad. We have decided to make our sweet four legged family member comfortable and spoil him rotten. I'm cooking him chicken and rice, sneaking him pizza and chicken nuggets and lavishing him with extra snuggles. Luckily he still loves his afternoon walks and visits to the dog park. Many of the critters featured in this quilt are animal friends that Belvedere loves to see on our walks or from our four season. The only ones he hasn't seen are a bear or a moose. That's pretty good for a little city puppy!

Have you started to make the flying geese sections yet? I am also offering the flying geese sections on the website and am also recapping what you need to finish this quilt...

I recommend 5 yards for a pieced backing.

I am using a cotton fabric for my backing since I'm using flannel for the front. Also I thought it would be a good time to start doing some of the additional piecing that is required for the quilt. So this month you can start making some flying geese blocks using the red and brown fabric. The directions can be found below. These directions can also be download for FREE on the Quilt Doodle Designs website until the conclusion of this BOM quilt. You'll find it under the BOM tab. There will be another section for you to work on next month if you would like.


This month's posting is sorta long.... lots of info! This month I thought we would make the Chickadee block.   So here's how I did this month's block....
Start out with a 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" square for the background....


These are the colors that I pulled for my chickadee. The pattern calls for a dark gray for the chickadee's wing and tail feather. I am using 'scrap heap' by Laura Berringer from Marcus Fabrics. There are 'gray' areas in the print, so I will be using those tones for my chickadee's wing and tail feather.

Trace the applique shapes onto the paper side of your fusible web. I then cut the different pieces out and pair them with the fabric colors. Following the manufacturer's directions I iron the shapes onto the wrong side of the fabric and then cut everything out. Following the pattern placement diagram I then peel off the paper and position everything in place centering the design onto my background square. Iron in place. Using my dark brown thread I then stitch a small buttonhole stitch around all of the raw edges of the design using my sewing machine.

Using a dark brown or black pearl cotton or DMC thread, embroider the chickadee's eye using a French knot.

What a sweet chickadee face....

~ Woodland Chickadee ~

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. Remember it's a mystery. You will get a new block each month and in December 2021 we will assemble the quilt together. The finished size of the quilt is 65" x 80". Each month the pattern is a free PDF instant download after that it will be available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  It's not too late to join in on the fun. You would just have a some catching up to do!

 I can't believe that there's just one more month left!!! This year is flying by!!!

 There's also a Facebook Groupplease join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! I post links and sneak peeks throughout the month so you are to be sure not to miss anything. I hope that you have a wonderful week and find some time to quilt.

Hope that you enjoy making this month's block.  This design would also be adorable on a tea towel for some holiday gift giving!

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your beloved Belvidere. Our furry friends are such a big part of a family. So glad you can spoil him a little longer. Thank you for these adorable block patterns. I can't wait to see it all done. My blocks are turning out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about Belvedere ... All we can do is love and cherish our furry friends ... I've been following you long enough to feel like I know him.

    Thank you for these wonderful blocks. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about sweet Belvedere! This is the hardest part of owning a furry friend! I know you will give him lots of extra love and goodies!
    I especially love Chicadees! Thank You for all the wonderful designs you share with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Belvedere! I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Belvedere! All we can do is love them as much as we can for as long as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m sorry to hear about Belvederes situation. I’ll keep him in my prayers! And you as well. So hard to loose a furry loved one. I just lost my mini schnauzer Abby, she was !5 1/2. I miss her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Belvedere...we are so close to our beloved pets, our constant companions, so very difficult to know they are ill and that our time together is never long enough. I wish you as long and painless a time as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry Belvedere isn't well, but very glad you have some time to spoil him. Our fur babies fill such a big place in our lives and our hearts. Love and hugs to both of you. And thank you for another wonderful block - you are so talented, they have all been lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for Belvedere's and please take care of yourself; enjoy the time you have and cherish your memories including the ones you are making remembering you're not alone. Lots of prayers, love and hugs are being sent to you. You're an amazing, talented gal.Thanks for everything.

    Love you,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing how pets, especially certain ones are like our children. When they get sick, we feel bad too. I have gone through quite a few passings of our cats, we still have cats. We got a dog when I became an empty nester. A Border Collie rescue. He was amazing, not to mention brilliant. When it was his time I cried like he was a human child, but I knew he was out of pain and now imagine him running happily in heaven. I know you will feel the same with Belvedere. Any pet owner understands what you are going through. I hope thevet can keep him pain free so his last days are in peace. Quilty Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete