Saturday, October 2, 2021

October's Block

 


This month's block is a sweet snowman with his bunny friend. It has been a very hectic last week of September. I did a last minute trip with my younger son to Seattle Washington. We were only gone a little over two days.... yes two days... it was a spur of the moment marathon. We lived on Mountain Dew and potato chips.... We left a Thursday afternoon and got home early Saturday morning. We drove his truck non-stop from our home in Minnesota to Washington. It's a 26 hour drive. He bought a new truck but unfortunately we were unable to drive it back since the person who needed to sign off on it, left for the weekend. Well, we Ubered to the airport, (granted we had no tickets) bought tickets online for the redeye to Chicago and then flew home to Minneapolis from there. We didn't sleep for about 36 hours.... It was fun and I enjoyed hanging out with my younger son. Its a trip for the history books since neither one of us fly by the seat of our pants without a plan. LOL..... He flew back to Washington with a buddy and brought his new truck home a couple days ago.  Since being home, I have been hanging out with my older son and hanging out with Lola so he can work from home.  Lola, my sweet grand puppy had surgery for an obstruction. She swallowed a stuffed mouse, we have no idea where she got a hold of it. Poor baby girl. She's such a sweet girl and my heart aches for the kids. She's doing ok but her platelets are very low so keep her sweet little puppy soul in your prayers. The end of September slipped away from me....

 Last month many of you were unable to download the owl block. It was not in any error of your own. I was having an issue with the website and it has since been resolved. Thank you web geeks for fixing it! Because of this I am still offering last month's block for FREE so that those of you who had trouble can still download it. I am also offering the flying geese sections on the website and am also recapping what you need to finish this quilt...

I recommend 5 yards for a pieced backing.

I am using a cotton fabric for my backing since I'm using flannel for the front. Also I thought it would be a good time to start doing some of the additional piecing that is required for the quilt. So this month you can start making some flying geese blocks using the red and brown fabric. The directions can be found below. These directions can also be download for FREE on the Quilt Doodle Designs website until the conclusion of this BOM quilt. You'll find it under the BOM tab. There will be another section for you to work on next month if you would like.


This month's posting is sorta long.... lots of info! This month I thought we would make the Snowman block.   So here's how I did this month's block....

Here are the colors I'm using for this month's block. I dug thru my fabric stash for the gray for the bunny. If you purchased the kit, and don't have gray in your fabric stash, you can make your bunny cream or brown. I had originally planned on making the bunny cream but decided last minute I wanted it to be gray.

I cut a 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" cream background square for the applique block.

Print up the PDF pattern and trace all of the applique pieces onto the paper side of your fusible web.

Pair the pieces with the fabric for the applique. Iron onto the back side of the fabric following the fusible web directions.

Using my applique scissors, I cut all of the pieces out.

Following the pattern placement sheet, peel off the paper and position the applique in place. Iron the applique in place following the fusible web manufacturer's directions.

I used white/cream thread to stitch around the bunny and snowman body. I used a brown/black thread to stitch around everything else.

I will use a #12 Valdani pearl cotton in a variegated green and black to stitch the features onto the applique block.

I used French knots for the snowman's eyes and mouth...

Using the green pearl cotton and a backstitch, I stitched the branches for the snowman's arms and fringe on his scarf.

~ Woodland Snowman ~

It's an adorable quilt when it is done. Remember it's a mystery. You will get a new block each month and in December 2021 we will assemble the quilt together. The finished size of the quilt is 65" x 80". Each month the pattern is a free PDF instant download after that it will be available for $2.50 on my website and also in my Etsy shop.  It's not too late to join in on the fun. You would just have a some catching up to do!

 There's also a Facebook Groupplease join and post your progress! It's also fun to see everyone else progress too! I post links and sneak peeks throughout the month so you are to be sure not to miss anything. I hope that you have a wonderful week and find some time to quilt.

Hope that you enjoy making this month's block.  

Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

9 comments:

  1. hi Cindy,
    i think i am having a brain freeze moment...where can i find the PDF instant download for the October Block...thank you in advance...love the quilt ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having that same brain freeze, but I thought it was just a senior moment.

      Delete
  2. Don't see the download file or where to go to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for having the adorable snowman on your 2021 BOM page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you download the file? I've clicked on everything, nothing works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot download this cute guy can you help me here???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found the link on the Facebook group quiltdoodledesigns.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find the download either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the link - hope this helps.

    https://www.quiltdoodledesigns.com/bom.htm

    ReplyDelete